Whats on yours

salphonso

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am about to build an assembly/out feed table.  Finally convinced my wife to let me take up the entire garage. It will double as an out feed table and will be a torsion top.  I will be doing Marc's build with my own modification on storage.  Which brings me to the question at hand.  What tools do you keep on/in your assembly table?

Off the top of my head I came up with this list but I'm sure there are more things I should account for that I will need/want there.

• drill guns
  • nail guns
  • compressor
  • glue
  • orbital sanders
  • table saw blades (since it's right there and doubles as out feed)
  • finishing tools (brushes, sprayers)
  • screw drivers, wrenches

Congrats on succesfully invading the garage! I built basically the same thing youre talking about. The entire base is a cabinet. One side is all drawers that hold all my tablesaw accessories (inserts, miter guages, push sticks, featherboards etc) and a few drawers full of hand tools. I dont have a real woodworking workbench so this puts all the hand tools near my vise and hand tooling shop bench.

The other side is shallow shelves that hold router table accessories and router bits (for the tablesaw extension router table) and glue-up related items.

Its not the ideal setup but with my limited space it puts what i need right where i need it. Eventually when i build a roubo type bench ill ditch the hand tool drawers for something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a drawer that holds screws and other fasteners that may be needed.  They mostly get used building a jig of some sort.  I am currently working on a project that called for 28 cabinet screws so it is nice to have them right at the assembly table.

IMG_5593.jpg

• Like 1

I'll post some pics when it's done.  It's 1 of multiple projects going on right now.  2 Twin Beds, 2 Outdoor Bed Swings, Outdoor Sectional Sofa.  Plus a huge list of to do items that have not been started.  I need to add a 3rd bay to my garage to make it a finish/wood storage room or find some land, and build a new house with a huge workshop...:D  

• Like 1

you have me thinking on this downdraft idea now.  I have never used a downdraft table.  Is it a game changer?  99% of the time I have the garage door open with a fan blowing out along with my standard DC unit.  Sanders and router(when not in table) currently hook up to shopvac soon to be replaced festool Dust Extractor.  

If you're gonna have a FT sander and CT vac, that pretty much makes a downdraft table obsolete and moot, unless you wanna use it while hand sanding.  I personally wouldn't want to run a DC the entire time I'm hand sanding...I just consider it part of the unavoidable mess that comes with woodworking.  Great time to wear a respirator and clean up afterward.

Eric is right  . If your going to invest in a FT sander and dont mind dragging the hose around thats the way to go. They make large fans that dont make much noise and with the right filters you can leave it on at times and it will also help clean the air in the shop. A removable top is great for when you want to cover up the holes. Only needs to be 1/4 in.  May not be something you guys need but it works great at a friends cabinet shop and been thinking about it for myself. 

@mat60 , Everyone has different needs and it's all about what works for you.  I don't know what works for me yet.  Every time I build a shop tool or jig I always end up saying I wish I would have added xyz.  So trying to cover all my bases in the design process before I start although, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll be saying I wish I would have done it this way a few months down the road :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

If your shop is like mine in the summer, a respirator is a good way to drown. External methods for dust control are priority for me.

I agree with you and Eric that for most this is the better way to go.  I just wish I had one because I think it would work good for me and I look forward it it.  OP  Please do what the guys said. 

23 hours ago, mat60 said:

I have thought about using my out feed table for assembly also but my floor is not very level and wondered how much of a pita it would be on wheels.

Shim pack.  I keep these and the wooden ones in a can on the floor.  Handy for many things but, leveling stands, wheels and so forth are their primary use.

• Like 1