Bora Tools vs Starrett.

OldSouthWoodCraft

On 6/13/2017 at 2:31 PM, Tom Cancelleri said:

He actually said BORG. BORG garbage being stamped squares from home depot or lowes. Although I have an Empire TriSquare that's dead accurate and I trust for a lot of what I do. I've since added a bunch of WP squares to replace it, mainly due to that lip that keeps the square flat on the workpiece. I have a BORA square and it seems ok, I don't like the plastic on it though. 

I picked up a couple Empire things from a BORG a while back, and after measuring them against my machinist squares, I can say they easily fall within tolerance.  As in, they're pretty damn square. 

I have a bunch of different ones.  Some old ones, some I made, an Empire one (available at Princess Auto in Canada BTW) and I also have a nice set of Mitutoyu squares.  I find them all within reasonable tolerance for wood working.  The wood will move more than the precision of any of them.  The only reason I got the Mitutoyu set was that I found it at a yard sale for $30 from a machinist who was closing up his home shop (and he threw in a small Starrett square with it).  Fantastic piece of gear, on par with Starrett, more than I need, but I treasure it.

1 hour ago, Marmotjr said:

I picked up a couple Empire things from a BORG a while back, and after measuring them against my machinist squares, I can say they easily fall within tolerance.  As in, they're pretty damn square. 

You should play the lottery. :)

I have two or three Empire squares that when I bought them, were square based on the opposing parallel line test.  This is just a theory as I haven't tested them after using them for a while, but I think the light weight aluminum or whatever other cheap crap they use to make them will wear down and knock it out of tolerance.  I believe the slot that the blade runs in has a couple of nubs at the bottom that the blade references off of.  If those nubs are made out of aluminum or plastic or whatever, eventually the blade will likely wear on one more than the other and boom...not square.

My Epstein PECs will be my new primary combo squares.

• Like 2

About two months ago based on comments here, I ordered some squares from Epstein.

The 4" double square and the 4" machinist square were pretty good. The 6" double square however wasn't square.   Fortunately it was simply because there was some excess metal in the channel and so a bit of work with a fine file and I was able to get it square.    Just something to watch for... test your square and make adjustments as necessary.

Other than that, I really like how easily they work... smooth and easy to read.

I need to order a 12" but at the time they didn't have the 4R in stock.