Bora Tools vs Starrett.

OldSouthWoodCraft

I know alot of you guys and gals on here throw out the Starett name alot when it comes to squares, bevel gauges, and other small measuring devices. I can definitely see why as they have been around for a long time and put out a very consistent product, but a name I rarely see is Bora. Why is that? Stigma, inconsistency, or just too new and untested?

Personally I own both and often reach for my Bora far more often. Mostly because I don't want to potentially drop a vintage Starrett.

That being said I do love my Bora and I'm seeing it more and more in my local market. Especially with their clamp on edge guides and magnetic square which requires no thumb screw. James Hamilton (Stumpy Nubs) recommends them quite a bit but I imagine they are a sponsor of his.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got two 4" Epstein combo squares and a 12" Starrett combo square for Xmas. To all appearances the Epsteins match up in squareness. On one of them the thumb screw doesn't cinch down securely as the other. I can move the rule after it is "locked" if I'm not careful. The Starrett combo square is flawless and costs considerably more than the blems from Epstein, but I wanted a "dead nuts accurate" square.

I have a Bora edge guide clamp. It's okay. Certainly better than the cheaper version I have which is made by E. Emerson Tool Co.

I also have a Starrett No. 221 micrometer. It is a work of art as well as a super nice tool. It's supposedly accurate to+/-.00005" but who measures to those tolerances?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davewyo said:

but I wanted a "dead nuts accurate" square.

I have a set of Groz machinists squares for that...also cheap and perfectly square (in the context of woodworking)...and they can't get knocked out of square unless you step on the damn things.  I had a Starrett combo square set and I sold it after I discovered Epstein...and quadrupled my square collection for the same price.  Starretts are nice tools, but I think the price tags are more justifiable to machinists than to woodworkers.

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have a set of Groz machinists squares for that...also cheap and perfectly square (in the context of woodworking)...and they can't get knocked out of square unless you step on the damn things.  I had a Starrett combo square set and I sold it after I discovered Epstein...and quadrupled my square collection for the same price.  Starretts are nice tools, but I think the price tags are more justifiable to machinists than to woodworkers.

https://www.amazon.com/Groz-Precision-Square-secure-plastic/dp/B01D943R58

those? 

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Starretts are nice tools, but I think the price tags are more justifiable to machinists than to woodworkers.

Agreed. Beyond setting up machines I can't see where anything near "dead on balls accuracy" is needed for woodworkers. What's a few 100ths when you're dealing with wood?

I have a $15 3" machinist's square for checking that my band saw blade is 90 degrees to the table and such tasks. I think it says Made in Singapore. It checks out as square against the $100 Starrett.

Tools are made for using regardless of brand. I appreciate that dropping a square can be a bummer but they are easy to reset.

Dropping my Starrett is less about knocking it of square and more about ruining a hand me down piece. It's got far more sentimental value than actual value at this point.

Yep same here.  Honestly the only time I break out the machinist's squares is for setting up...um...machines.  I use doubles and combos for everything else, and they're perfectly adequate.  Wood moves more than the tolerances of decent combo/double squares.  That's not a permission slip to buy BORG garbage, but Starrett is unnecessary.

Epstein.  It's gold.

So are you saying that Bora is garbage? If so, in what way is it garbage?

2 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

So are you saying that Bora is garbage? If so, in what way is it garbage?

He actually said BORG. BORG garbage being stamped squares from home depot or lowes. Although I have an Empire TriSquare that's dead accurate and I trust for a lot of what I do. I've since added a bunch of WP squares to replace it, mainly due to that lip that keeps the square flat on the workpiece. I have a BORA square and it seems ok, I don't like the plastic on it though. 

• Like 2

No I'm not saying that. I have no experience with Bora aside from a clamping tool I bought years ago and it was fine. I'm just saying the Epstein squares are a proven value and it's hard for me to recommend anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No I'm not saying that. I have no experience with Bora aside from a clamping tool I bought years ago and it was fine. I'm just saying the Epstein squares are a proven value and it's hard for me to recommend anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's completely my fault Eric. I saw BORG and interpreted that as a typo for BORA. The only time I see the word BORG is in relation to Star Trek.

• Like 2

I'm right there in the Epstein camp. I've used some nice Starret tools at classes, but I'd be hard pressed to find the difference between those and my PECs. Never seen a Bora square in person.

Ultimately, the PEC's are cheap, accurate, and mostly made in the USA (according to Epstein). I don't see a lot of reason to try out Bora alternatives, since they cost more, don't offer me more accuracy (at least as far as I need it) and appear to be made in China (according to AcmeTools).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I bought a couple Epstein squares last month and was impressed with the speedy shipping, too.  This thread is starting to sound like a commercial.

It better be speedy I chose the cheapest option which was like $12 lol

It is a good commercial though! Maybe we can bring in the Russian girl and sell some plywood in here that we can validate square with Epstein gear .... BOOM! Market that! 

• Like 2

If you're in Canada like me, the Epstein squares aren't a great option since the shipping will cost you more than the squares. I ended up picking up the same thing (PEC blems) from taylor toolworks on eBay. Still not super cheap for shipping, but if you buy a few things it's reasonable.

My few pieces of Starrett gear are 40 + years old . Years ago someone on this forum turned me on to the deals at Harry Epstein ,I've shared their info many times to pass it along.  I must have 7 or 8 PEC squares now. I compared my $100 Starrett 24" combo square to my 24" PEC blade with my jeweler's magnifying headset, couldn't find a difference other than $100 vs $15 ! I can't remember what my Starrett protractor head cost  but they were damn proud of it I'm sure. The PEC version looks identical at less than 1/4 the current prices.

I've gotten several other things from Epstein and they have shipped quickly and they  are quite pleasant on the phone too.