White oak for a Roubo workbench top?

Dean Hummel

Is white oak a suitable wood for a Roubo style workbench top?

Oak is an pen grain wood. A lot of purists recommend a close grain wood such as maple for a bench top.

In my opinion, people made workbenches out of local woods on hand and I have a good line on some wide (like 10 inch wide) straight grain 8/4 white oak.

Second question is there a minimum thickness for a Roubo style bench top? I think 6 inches is way overkill but 2 inches may not be enough, even if it is oak.

Finally is it acceptable to use face grain for the bench top or should I cut the oak into strips and laminate it up on the edge grain?

Thanks for the collective wisdome!

Deane

I'd vote for something else, mainly because I don't like really hard woods like oak or maple for a bench top. If you drop a workpiece on the bench, you want the bench to dent, not the workpiece. My workbench is made from Douglas fir, and I love it. If you have no other options for cheap local wood, I'd use the oak, but I would look for something else.

My workbench is a Roubo, and the top is about 3-1/2" thick, and is plenty thick for me. Do I wish I had a 6" thick top? Sure, but only for the coolness factor, not for any functional reason.

I laminated the benchtop so that the edge grain shows. I think it looks nicer. But you could do it either way.

Suitable, but perhaps a bit lavish. Is there no other project that cries out for good, straight 8/4 white oak? Rarely does any one workbench serve us forever. We change, our needs change, and (in my case) our design mistakes become apparent.

Save the oak for an heirloom piece to be built upon a workbench made of more pedestrian lumber.

I used White Oak on my Roubo...it is the species I used for the pegs that drawbore the legs to the top. I agree with Rob and Wilbur. I like my bench made of Ash, but it is hard and could damage a workpiece made of softer wood. It hasn't happened yet, but I do need to consider it. Truthfully any wood that is cheap and readily available will make a good bench. As far as how your assemble the top that is up to what you have on hand. If you have access to wide thick stock then by all means use face grain. Just do your best to align the grain direction if you have to laminate our flattening the top will be a nightmare later on.