Multiple dovetail trouble shooting

Isaac

Looking for a method or advice on fitting multiple dovetail joints. When I have a joint with say, 2 pins, It is pretty easy to see where the fit is tight and adjustment should be made, but with a joint with 4 or more pins, it is very tricky for me to figure out where to start removing material and I tend to over remove material from the wrong spots when it is all said and done. Is there some secret method for these situations?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Llama said:

You should be able to see where it is rubbing... If not, you can rub the pieces with a pencil or something... Then you can see the rubbings easier.

The challenge I'm having is I have multiple rubbing spots and as I adjust one, it effects the others. Is there a recommended sequence?

You have asked a great question. Always look to see if your piece is off center. If you need to move the piece one way or the other, start with only the faces that easing will allow the movement you desire. A pinched pin will show rubbing on both sides but may only need one side eased. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

You have asked a great question. Always look to see if your piece is off center. If you need to move the piece one way or the other, start with only the faces that easing will allow the movement you desire. A pinched pin will show rubbing on both sides but may only need one side eased. 

Thanks Craig, is this what I was getting at. The challenge I'm having is predicting the effects of one adjustment on the rest. I fiddle with one pin and before I know it, another pin which I thought was too snug, is now a bit loose!

I know it is an experience game, and I am improving (I've got a pretty good handle on the basic method now, and don't cut on the wrong side of the line anymore!), but progress is slow. I'll keep stumbling ahead :).

2 hours ago, derekcohen said:

I've been doing this a long time now. So it is second nature to fit dovetails. Mostly I will do drawers 99% of the time and panels, such as the one below about 95% ..

Kist_html_m143e34e7.jpg

But even 95% requires some fine tuning. So the question is, what does one do? 

What I do is place the tails on the pins and push down. Some will appear to go in more easily than others. So concentrate on the ones that are likely to be an issue. As others have noted, look for shiny spots. Look for slight indentation in the pins when you tap the tails. Bend down and look at the parts coming together. Are there some that are obviously off alignment? 

The more you do this, the easier it gets. Obviously, the best method is not having to repair the joinery. That also comes with experience.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, those are just awesome, and where I want to get eventually. My plan is just to grit my teeth and bare through it, If I don't start somewhere I'll never get it, so I know my project will have less than perfect dovetails, but at least they will be handmade, by me.