DIY Spindle sander sleeves

difalkner

43 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

I wonder if you could use PSA sanding strips and stick directly on the rubber sleeve would work? Maybe use a heat gun to set the glue some and to hold the shape?????????

-Ace-

I would think that the full width areas would stick but near the points, where it narrows down, would be a constant problem.  Then if you want to change grits you've got to deal with peeling the current one off and it'll probably not work again.  But I have nothing to base these assumptions on other than gut feeling.

David

afcbfd3cb7a22399f58796bb013815e0.jpg

180 grit paper on pine. I didn't tighten the rubber sleeve down prior to applying the paper or before running.

As I was sanding, the nut had tighten on its own swelling the rubber at the bottom causing the paper to come open. Plus I was applying a lot of pressure.

Findings:

I would uses this method in a pinch. Actually worked great and the paper did not come off or get loose. However, the butted edge, I feel will give out before the paper wears.

-Ace-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would certainly make it easier.  I think the factory sleeves are thicker and joined at the edge but that probably takes some fairly sophisticated gear along with glue cured by UV or other quick dry method.  And I'd be willing to step out and say they probably do as I suggested near the end of my video - make theirs in long sections and cut to 4.5".

David

• Like 1

They do make finer grits, down to 240, I believe.  But nobody in town has them so I figured I'd make some.  Now I know I can do even finer grits if necessary.  I won't use them much so if I made a couple each of 320, 400, 600 they'd probably last a year or more.

No sir, lived in Corpus Christi as a child but have been in Bossier City since the early 60's.

David

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

For me, it's putting the rolls of sandpaper to use in other ways. You buy in bulk to save money and if you find more uses out of a roll= bonus. Plus it's so damn coolemoji38.png. I use my spindle sander all the time.

-Ace-

Sent fromh my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying  in bulk is often cool! But there are exceptions. I recently bought 100  ea. 00 buck shot and only used 18 of them. Non refundable.   

• Like 1

Buying  in bulk is often cool! But there are exceptions. I recently bought 100  ea. 00 buck shot and only used 18 of them. Non refundable.   

The cool part is making your own sanding sleeves. Not having to pay shipping, etc.

Sorry on the buck shot. Melt them down and make fishing sinkers

-Ace-

• Like 1

Note on buying in bulk- make sure you do the math first.  We spent three days building a log house for my son's Lab puppy.  My son went to Lowe's to get the long drywall screws.  A five pound box was a certain price. He checked and it was cheaper to buy five one-pound boxes!!!!

difalkner, used to live in Shreveport.  Haven't been to a crawfish boil since 1988!  Cooked crawfish here are more expensive than steak.

• Like 1