Big tools and dust collection

Dhankx

2 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

No i totally get you now Eric. And im with you on the fact that acheiving perfect air is probably not worth what it costs with a dust collector alone. I think ill just buy a respirator and a dust collector thats good enough to keep the shop clean. 

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a beast of a system.  But I don't know, I just have trouble justifying the cost vs. what you really gain.  Again, if I were in my basement it would be a definite priority.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

No i totally get you now Eric. And im with you on the fact that acheiving perfect air is probably not worth what it costs with a dust collector alone. I think ill just buy a respirator and a dust collector thats good enough to keep the shop clean. 

Recommend you look at a 2 stage system with a cyclone (dust deputy etc) to separate the shavings and dust or you will be plugging filters quickly and losing suction power.  Lots to choose from in the marketplace.  Lots of people buy the cheap HF dust collector, add a cyclone and a canister filter.  Not sure how that price compares to something like the mini gorilla system.

The problem with an add-on, such as the Super Dust Deputy, is that it requires more power to drive it. So, it certainly can help in separating chips (I know as I have one), but it does little for the collection of fine dust that vents from the DC itself. My own plan is  get a Clearvue. I'd also like to find a way to vent outdoors - now I need to find a way to prevent my neighbours discovering this! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

9 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I added the SDD and made up for the lost efficiency by venting outside.  How much is gained or lost from either factor, who knows, but the convenience of never having to deal with filters is totally worth it even if it's a net loss.

Is it really loud where you exhaust outdoors? I have been considering this, but am worried about the noise for my neighbor (who is quite close to me).

16 minutes ago, rodger. said:

Does is sound like putting the entire dust collector outside?

Oh no, it's not that loud.  It's kind of difficult to quantify a sound without speaking in decibels but I have no idea what that number is.

I can't imagine it's a whole lot louder than my AC condenser.  I mean it makes noise but it's not obnoxious noise.  I live in suburbia with neighbors nearby and I've never had a complaint.

• Like 1

I've got a db app on my phone. I think it was cheap or free.  From 10 ft away the exhaust alone is just a whooshing noise. The noise of the impeller is the irritating sound to me.  I think a section of flex hose with even a couple of bends in it would diminish the impeller noise outdoors. 

Is it really loud where you exhaust outdoors? I have been considering this, but am worried about the noise for my neighbor (who is quite close to me).

I just checked with a db meter app on my phone. I have an Oneida V-system and from 5-6 feet away inside it was 68-70 db. Outside from the same distance was 70-72db. For reference, this is not very loud. My dad and I were in the shop talking with the cyclone going no prob.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

LoL. I just downloaded it from the Google play store. It's called "Sound Meter".

From about 6 feet away it reads 76db.  Sitting here in front of my computer in the shop with the AC and fan running close by it reads 68db.  Listening to music at a fairly loud but not ridiculous level it's reading between 78-82.

You gotta wonder how accurate this thing is though LOL.

From about 6 feet away it reads 76db.  Sitting here in front of my computer in the shop with the AC and fan running close by it reads 68db.  Listening to music at a fairly loud but not ridiculous level it's reading between 78-82.

Ya for sure but it does give us a point of reference.

22 hours ago, Eric. said:

What size is your exhaust pipe? I have been considering venting outside, and have a 5" inlet. I am thinking that would mean a 5" exhaust as well.

2 minutes ago, rodger. said:

What size is your exhaust pipe? I have been considering venting outside, and have a 5" inlet. I am thinking that would mean a 5" exhaust as well.

My DC outlet is bolted directly to the wall.  I was fortunate that I hadn't drywalled my shop before I installed the DC so I just "framed" the area where the outlet was mounted.

But yes I would go at least 5".  You can't go too big, only too small.  As long as your pipe is larger than your DC's exhaust port, you're fine.

20 minutes ago, Eric. said:

My DC outlet is bolted directly to the wall.  I was fortunate that I hadn't drywalled my shop before I installed the DC so I just "framed" the area where the outlet was mounted.

But yes I would go at least 5".  You can't go too big, only too small.  As long as your pipe is larger than your DC's exhaust port, you're fine.

The issue is that my outlet is huge (20+ inches) - it's the design of the collector. This means that I need to make a plywood ring and then attach a take off to it.

26113-main.jpg.3a7788eff70361eafc78c673e446319f.jpg

21 minutes ago, rodger. said:

The issue is that my outlet is huge (20+ inches) - it's the design of the collector. This means that I need to make a plywood ring and then attach a take off to it.

Yeah you have some mods on your plate then.  You also need to add a cyclone or everything will blow right out.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Yeah you have some mods on your plate then.  You also need to add a cyclone or everything will blow right out.

Not too wild about drilling a 6" hole in the side of my brick house. So I got to thinking...

A 6" hole has an area of 28.26 square inches, and would require a lot of work to drill out (and disturb 4 -6 bricks). However, a rectangular vent that requires the removal of one full brick, has an area of 32.5" (brick is 10x3.25).

The rectangle vent is equivalent to a 6.4" round hole.

Does this make sense? Is there any reason that a circular hole is preferred to a rectangular hole?

1wv310hbbksmall_.jpg

On 8/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, Dhankx said:

On 8/28/2017 at 2:13 PM, RichardA said:

Go with the 5 micron DC and that blast gate selection., and a hose.  But get the hose from Rockler, they have a set of quick connects that will save you anger. Or you can set up a perminent routing with either  Metal tubing, or 4" pvc  or just flex hose.  Being new to this, you'll learn a lot more terms.  But that would be a decent set up to start with.   And never use a 90* turn always 2 45* turns.

Just finished putting it up. Worst instructions ever!  Even had to make a run to the store because it was missing bolts.