Free stuck wooden plow plane wedge

Wood Basher

I bought a wooden plow plane at a flea market and I cannot remove the wedge. Any tips?

I can move the iron along its length but even with the iron in as far as it can go (so it is at its thinnest) the wedge won't budge. My guess is that the wedge is stuck across its width rather than on its length, if that makes sense. Anyway I thought maybe the wedge or plane body has expanded, trapping the wedge. If that is the case, maybe the wedge would come free after some time in a drier environment so I am storing it in my office. It has been there for about a month but the wedge is still stuck. Would it be OK to put it in the oven at a very low temperature for a while to speed the drying process along, or would that ruin the plane? Or is my diagnosis way off?

The wedge is a bit bashed up so maybe the previous owner also tried in vain to remove it. I guess one option would be to butcher the wedge to get it out and simply make a new one. I assume a new wedge would be easy enough to make. I did not get any spare irons with the plane so I will have to buy some from eBay or somewhere, so maybe that would force me to make a new wedge anyway. Is that going to be my easiest solution?

Basically the same as with a wooden bench plane. That is, hit the body of the plane with a mallet, either at the rear end or on the top forward of the iron. I have been reluctant to hit it too hard in case the shock damages the wooden threads, but I feel I have hit it hard enough that the wedge should have come loose. I have also tried tapping the "beak" at the top of the wedge with a small toffee hammer but the cut out is small and I cannot give it to much of a whack there.

The wedge may be original to the plane. At least if it is a replacement it is a good match.

I hold the wedge in my hand, gripping it low enough so that when I clench my fist around it, there is pressure put against the top of the body of the plane.  Then I hit the back of the plane body.  I use an Estwing mallet, with yellow and red on opposite faces.  Don't use a metal hammer, or you'll dent the back of the plane.  A dead blow hammer doesn't work as often as that Estwing.

The irons are really soft metal at the top, so if you do tap it down, don't hit it too hard.

It's virtually impossible to find a replacement iron that will work without some plane fettling.  I own several hundred molding planes, and I've found it cheaper to replace the whole plane, rather than spend time making parts, and gave up on finding replacement parts.

Rob Lee spent a long time finding a certain sized center bead plane for me, and then when it came, it had a replacement iron in it.  I spent a half day getting it to work, but wouldn't have bothered if he hadn't put so much time in finding it, and then wouldn't charge me for it.

Here's the mallet I use on the wooden parts of a plane:  http://www.estwing.com/sf_red_yellow_mallet_hammers.php