Planer Knife Sharpening Jig

rodger.

1 minute ago, Unknown craftsman said:

Looks great much nicer than the ones I've made.Soon your planer will have razor blades for knives.

What are you using for flat rub surface?

Aj

I think I'll use some fine grits of sandpaper stuck to some MDF or plate glass (spray adhesive should work just fine).

I bought one of the jointer knife sharpening jigs from Lee Valley.  I use sandpaper on a granite surface plate.  The first time I used it, I was surprised how fast the knives sharpened.  It really goes along much faster than you would expect.  It should work the same with this jig.  The good thing about a granite surface plate is not only that it's Really flat, but the texture on the surface adheres wet-or-dry sandpaper to it, good enough for shapening, with just a splash of water under the sandpaper.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I bought one of the jointer knife sharpening jigs from Lee Valley.  I use sandpaper on a granite surface plate.  The first time I used it, I was surprised how fast the knives sharpened.  It really goes along much faster than you would expect.  It should work the same with this jig.  The good thing about a granite surface plate is not only that it's Really flat, but the texture on the surface adheres wet-or-dry sandpaper to it, good enough for shapening, with just a splash of water under the sandpaper.

What grits did you use? I was thinking 220, 400, 600.

I sharpen the blades for my lunchbox planer on my Tormek with a  planer knife jig that was expensive years ago and is ridiculously expensive now.  But it gets the edge so sharp it's glossy. I think it's worth going as high as 4000-6000 grit at least once. The wood comes out of the planer with a sheen similar to a freshly sharpened hand planes results. There's still a slightly visible planer ripple but virtually no tear out.

• Thanks 1