Segmented Glue ups

Marmotjr

7 hours ago, ChrisG-Canada said:

Looking great!  Do you currently use any type of jig for the glue-up?

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

No walnut veneer mortar in the head joints of your bricks

For the glue up, This time I used Blue tape, with the segments flush end to end, squirted in some glue, wrapped it up real quick to spread the glue around each segment, then laid it flat again, and dropped a walnut slice in between each one.  Then I wrapped it up again, taped it off after positioning the connecting ends and inserting one more walnut slice, and then clamped it down with a hose clamp.  My normal method without veneer is to just build the circle on the table and let the hose clamp bring it to round, but the blue tape trick worked so well I'll be doing both in the future.   It also helped with controlling squeeze out.

You can tell the difference between the top cherry ring and the middle maple rings, the cherry ring doesn't have any mortar in it.

As for cutting up the segments, I use the MiterSet segmenting jig.  That gets my miter gauge dead nuts accurate every time.  Cheaper than an Incra, and I can take it with me, as I had to do this time.  I was having undervolt type issues, so none of my tools would run last week.  So I had to cut up the segments at work after hours.  I made extra just in case.  Turns out I made enough extra for a couple few bowls.  Cut like 500 segments at the table saw. 

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Is the oak cone just a clamping block to spread the pressure evenly ?

Yup, but there's now way it's oak.   Well, maybe red oak, sucker's pink.   I was going with Cherry, Cedar, or locust.  I really hadn't looked that hard at it.  Just a large piece from a pile of cutoffs I acquired, that for one reason or another I deemed wasn't suitable for a bowl, so I made a glue up cone with it.  It was supposed to be a jam chuck cone (flipped around the other way) for turning, but it never balanced right and made the whole thing even scarier.  So now it's the perfect press chuck for glue ups. 

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

And think of how little end grain sanding you'll have to do.

That's why I made it 15 segments per ring, I've done 8 seg rings before, and I get a bit of end grain on every segment.  15 should be enough. 

• Like 1

Now that I have the taper at the top close to finished, I wish I had added a layer of walnut on top and bottom of the maple.  It just looks weird to me.  It's probably one of those flaws only I will ever notice, but I still do.   Filed for later...  

.... not to turn this into a project thread... but too late.