Contractor Stain Finish

sciprox

Hi All

I am bit new to the forum but was hoping to get some insight for experienced wood workers regarding our sanded and stained red oak floors. We hired a contractor to strip and stain our red oak floors using a miniwax dark walnut finish and three coats of water based satin polyurethane. The entire house came pretty good except in our main hallway there is some really dark stain against the wall. We noticed as they did the work they left a small walkway down the hallway to walk into the other room. It appears as though when they stained the area to the left along the wall the stain came out way to dark and uneven. They have already applied the polyurethane and wondering if there is anything to do fix the unevenness. In the attached picture you will see the really dark stain on the left side of the wall. 

20171022_145522.jpg

Not that I have ever heard about but, I am not in the floor business.  At first I thought that might’ve been a preparation problem. Bad sanding effort that is. The more I look at it the more I think it is simply a staining issue. I agree with others that a full strip re-sand and refinish is going to be your only way out of this. It’s too bad that it’s right along the walking path and is so obvious. Be that as it may the craftsman should honor his work And do whatever is required to deliver you a proper job.

• Thanks 1

Realistically I think you would have to do the entire room, but I would search for a person that specializes in floor refinishing, let them give you the options.  A really good finisher may be able to just do that specific area.  The only reason I say this is when I was younger my parents removed a butlers pantry between 2 rooms and they managed to match between the 2 rooms.

• Thanks 1

Yeah that's a bummer.  Looks like a complete do-over to me.

I would pursue a refund and find someone who knows what they're doing.  When I hear Minwax and water-based poly for a floor refinish...then see the results...pretty good indicators that your guy didn't have a clue.

• Thanks 1

You could try to glaze over the topcoat to tone in. This would make the rest of the floor a bit darker to match the dark near the wall.

Probably a light sand of the topcoat. Find a stain that is a close match and is compatible with the water-base topcoat. then re-topcoat.

Should that fail, then it's a do over.

-Ace-

• Thanks 1