router switch wiring

Don G

It's a long shot, but try looking at manuals for other routers that have a similar looking switch. I haven't ever had a router apart, but I've repaired lots of corded hand tools. Mostly they have 2 wires feeding power into the switch & 2 wires out of the switch to the motor. Can you post pictures of the switch & the disemboweled router?

Now I'm baffled.  I found the confirmation on my phone.  (DUH). I have power at the switch.  I now believe it wasn't the switch at all, as I found a pin wire not installed properly, at the factory, fixed that and checked switch for power, and it does have 120 VAC at all four posts.  Router won't turn on.  Checked the brushes, still like new.  Not sure if they should have any voltage at stop, but there is none.

I'm not familiar with the soft start, or even where its located.  The router has a speed control and I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

I wouldn't think the armature could be burnt out, it hasn't that many hours.

Any ideas?

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the input.

Im going to try and bypass the speed control.  Anyone out there ever tried that on a similar router with a speed control.  It's mounted in my router table so the soft start isn't necessary.  

At what speed do u think it would run at.  Higher end (21000) or lower (11800).

I ' ll keep looking for the part, but they are getting rare.

• 5 years later...
On 11/3/2017 at 1:54 PM, Don G said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the input.

Im going to try and bypass the speed control.  Anyone out there ever tried that on a similar router with a speed control.  It's mounted in my router table so the soft start isn't necessary.  

At what speed do u think it would run at.  Higher end (21000) or lower (11800).

I ' ll keep looking for the part, but they are getting rare.

How did you make out with your experiment... My old but almost brand new router seems to be suffering the same fate. Trying to figure out how to make it run. Will try bypassing the switch. Don't know if you speed controller can be bypassed or not.