Festool 27mm dust port

collinb

As I move through my project design I think a Domino is in the works after the first cabinet is paid for -- that's when there will be funds available.

In the mean time ... I'm keeping my eye out for a used Domino that is available from someone's upgrade. (I'll buy new if I must. It's going to become very useful.)

:::

And also to see if anyone has 3d-printed a 27mm -> 4" shop vac adapter.

:::

Wondering, too, how many buy bulk dominoes or alternatively make their own?

I will say, I would buy the festool vac with the domino.  I know it is more cost, but it really needs it to operate at its top efficiency.  I bought the domino and planned to use with a shop vac, but I kept forgetting to turn vac on, so that pushed me to buying the festool vac.  

Also for the DF500 I bought the systainer with all the dominos and extra cutters.  Making would be a pain.  Easier to make own tenons with the DF700.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5-Meter-Vacuum-Hose/dp/B0000AV78B/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=90B52KY78M7G9F7FWYBY

4"? a dust collection system isn't going to have enough vacuum pressure to extract from a domino. I think the above hose would work with a shop vac. Other wise there are bosch adapters for 1.25 or 1.5" to what ever the port size is.

I ran my Domino on a shop vac with a " M bright " ivac switch for years . You plug the vac ( with the switch on )and tool into the ivac switch. When you turn on the tool it starts the vac. When you turn the tool off it runs the vac a little longer to clear the hose before it shuts off. If you use a set up like this on a random orbit sander you need to drill some holes in the hose to reduce the suction or the hook & loop pad will heat up and wear out much quicker.  Full vacuum will also cause more swirl marks. I made a sleeve to cover the holes when I wasn't sanding.

Having said that the Festool CT-26 is powerful with adjustable suction and very quiet. Plus it has a HEPA filter. 

On 12/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, Chestnut said:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5-Meter-Vacuum-Hose/dp/B0000AV78B/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=90B52KY78M7G9F7FWYBY

4"? a dust collection system isn't going to have enough vacuum pressure to extract from a domino. I think the above hose would work with a shop vac. Other wise there are bosch adapters for 1.25 or 1.5" to what ever the port size is.

I should have typed 2.5"

I made my own dominos in the beginning but quickly found I didn't have the patience and gladly paid for the convenience and time saved.  75% of my Festool tools are from craigslist so they're out there.  But their rise in popularity over the last few years means deals aren't as abundant as they once were.  They're currently selling recons right now.  They only sell one tool at a time and it's first come first serve though.  They had a couple df 500 discounted 25% off but they only come with 1 year warranty.  Festool vacs are great but if you're not ready to make the investment yet just get a 27mm adapter for your shop vac.

22 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Get in on the Festool Recon site mailing list and see if you can snag one of their re-conditioned Dominos. They pop up pretty regularly.

Had not heard of that site before.

Right now they have a rather small inventory. The smallest possible. Because 0 doesn't count.

10 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Inventory?! They dont show inventory. And its an actual Festool run deal. Check it out over at the FOG (LINK).

I know it's an actual festool site. But there was only one item listed.

Like FOG says ... "The website will feature one tool at a time."

That's an odd way to do business. Maybe it's a German thing.

4 hours ago, collinb said:

Gotcha. Yea they only email out the deal one item at a time and you have to be right on top of it as they sell out FAST. It seems like they only have a few of each product to sell each time a different one is announced. But theyve been going pretty non-stop for months now. You have to be signed up for the emails though, the products do not show up on the website.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, collinb said:

From festool, they claim to do it this way because it's Fun and interesting, and also they aren't a retailer so maintaining a website with inventory isn't their bag. This simplifies the whole sale and shipping fiasco most retailers have to deal with. I also believe it's ONLY festool USA so it's more an American thing.

• Like 1