Dust collection

Mike Scott

So first the little Dust Deputy is more intended for shop vacs or high vacuum/low volume systems. It won't really work all that great for a big blower that moves high volume. The super dust deputy is the one to match with a bigger unit like you have. Your talking about the piece that would connect from the white pipe to the top of a filter?

A 5 micron bag would leave a lot of fine dust coming into the air. They have 1 micron bags as well still going to pass a lot of fine dust. It depends on how picky you want to be.

What you have will work but it's going to choke the airflow a lot.

On point. It works pretty well now, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend the money on the Super Deputy. I have more 10” hose and will slowly start to put together pvc piping. That’s why I commented premature about the extraction. I happened to get a hold of another smaller barrel tonight and was thinking about making a mobile shop vac cart. Do you think a diy pvc cyclonic top would work better with the 1hp?

4 minutes ago, Mike Scott said:

On point. It works pretty well now, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend the money on the Super Deputy. I have more 10” hose and will slowly start to put together pvc piping. That’s why I commented premature about the extraction. I happened to get a hold of another smaller barrel tonight and was thinking about making a mobile shop vac cart. Do you think a diy pvc cyclonic top would work better with the 1hp?

Yes and no. I think you could piss away a lot of time trying to get it to work and maybe never get there. I did try with my HF unit but ended up just running it stock.

as for the filter side the dust right collector has a 5" outlet might be able to adapt somehow for a filter. http://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust-right-canister-filter-for-wall-mount-dust-collector

Or they have a 5 micron bag http://www.rockler.com/5-micron-replacement-bag-for-rockler-wall-mount-dust-collector

I put a trash can separator that's very similar to your picture of the galvanized can in front of my old 1hp Delta AP400 dust collector mostly to protect the fan from larger chunks.  Mission accomplished.  I have also been very pleased with how well the trash can collects everything.  Certainly not comparable to a high quality cyclone for the  fine particles but for tablesaw sawdust and planer shavings it works really well.   I also use it at the belt/disc sander and the downdraft table for the palm sanders.   IMO its well worth having just for not having to remove/install the lower bag.   I have dumped the trash can 7-10 times and there's probably 3-4 cups worth of fine dust in the bag.   

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2018 at 8:54 PM, Mike Scott said:

Bought a cheap 1hp single stage dust collector from Big box store. (Premature maybe) have since put together a nice little system with dust deputy. I can’t seem to find or maybe correctly name the 2 stage ring section? Or is just a 5 micron bag sufficient?

Your post is a couple of months old now, so don't know if you have resolved your question.

The 2 stage ring section that I think you are searching for is called a Thien baffle. Lots of help making one pop up with a Google search

Chris

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

For some reason the Thien baffle doesn't get a lot of play here.  I think it would work just fine on low powered systems and probably just as well as a super dust deputy.  I went with a cyclone similar to the SD out of laziness, I didn't have to piece together fittings for the baffle.  I bet the baffle would have worked fine though. 

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

For some reason the Thien baffle doesn't get a lot of play here.  I think it would work just fine on low powered systems and probably just as well as a super dust deputy.  I went with a cyclone similar to the SD out of laziness, I didn't have to piece together fittings for the baffle.  I bet the baffle would have worked fine though. 

One of the magazines did a test comparing systems that included a Thien baffle & a cyclone as well as some other trash can lid separators. The Thien did quite well compared to the trash can lid, but not nearly as good at separating out the fines as a cyclone. Can't remember which publication it was or any more details than that.

16 minutes ago, drzaius said:

One of the magazines did a test comparing systems that included a Thien baffle & a cyclone as well as some other trash can lid separators. The Thien did quite well compared to the trash can lid, but not nearly as good at separating out the fines as a cyclone. Can't remember which publication it was or any more details than that.

I think Thien baffles could be closer in efficiency as cyclones if there was a bit of research and design put into them. The diameter of the body as well as different aspects of the baffle can have a large impact on the efficiency of them. The debate that is in my mind is what is better the Thien baffle or the stubby short cyclones that Laguna and the like are putting out. Problem is we'll probably never know because there is a marketing appeal the the cyclone that a Thien baffle doesn't have.

• 5 weeks later...

I did a rebuild similar to John Heisz's rebuild:

The biggest differences I made were:
Hung on the wall so there's an empty space underneath. Not entirely necessary but it does bring the input closer to my ceiling mounted pipe run. The unit is tall enough that the motor is about 6" from the ceiling - and it's a 10ft ceiling.
The whole of the bottom panel is on hinges, and it's big enough to fit a trash can inside. This makes emptying it much easier. Two latches on the side holds the door shut tight.
I built a Y right on the side of the cabinet with a sliding blast gate to select either the floor sweep, or the over head pipe.
I also have a remote control fitted to the power for the dust collector, so I can turn it on where ever I am in the shop. Saves me walking back and forth to the machine, which means I use it way more than I would without it!

Overall it works quite well. Like John, my collector is only a 1HP so it's not powerful enough to power more than one machine at a time, but as it's a one man shop that's not an issue. I'm good, but I can only use one tool at a time :D

When the weather is a little warmer, I'm going to build an extension onto the top, so I can direct the exhaust out though the doors of the garage. My collector is so underpowered, I think it has something like a 35 micron bag. It does almost nothing to collect the really fine dust so I always wear a respirator in the shop (especially with my asthma). This won't stop the fine dust blowing back into my shop but it will help prevent it settling on every surface in the place.