Laguna Ceramic Insert

Pwk5017

I received my resaw king back from laguna's sharpening service sometime after the new year. It stayed in the box until this weekend, as i had no real need for intensive resawing the last month. About 3 minutes after installing the blade and beginning my cut, i heard a pronounced ceramic on steel noise and my cut immediately began to drift in a big way. I shut the machine down and gave everything a once over until finding one of the lower guide's inserts had come loose. Has anyone heard of this before? I thought these inserts were friction fit and would never come out, but this one is incredibly loose and sloppy. Within seconds it dulled the crap out of the left side of the resaw king. The right side of each tooth still feels sharp, which is probably why it drifts so badly now. Curious if i need to tap on the other inserts to see if they are loose. Sucks to have a fresh blade get toasted like that when im in the middle of needing to resaw a decent amount. 

IMG_5433.jpg

Just out of curiosity did this happen immediately on your first cut or did you get some done before it broke? I got a warranty blade from Laguna that pulled hard one way or another and i could see if a blade was drifting as bad as the one i had might cause a problem on a ceramic guide.

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I thought these inserts were friction fit and would never come out, but this one is incredibly loose and sloppy.

I never looked that close at mine, but I thought I read somewhere that they were glued in.  Superglue if i remember correctly.  Laguna has a video on how to replace the ceramic guides.  I did not watch the video but if the guide is still usable it may give you some info on how to glue back in.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

It certainly seems that this would be a good time to contact them to find out the cause.  Everything involved is their product or service.  The saw and its parts, the blade and their resharpening service.

Yeah, i shot them a note yesterday. I havent really dealt with their CS department yet, so im hoping they dont jerk me around for three weeks until i give up. I dont think anything is damaged, just want the blade resharpened(bummer, because that is 2-3 weeks of downtime), and tell me what adhesive to use to stick the insert back in. 

It was a bummer, because that is my only resaw/ripping blade. I only have 1/2" and 3/8" blades on hand that are not ideal for resawing, but i went ahead with them anyways. After taking all the guides off, the 1/2" resawed through 11-12" of walnut pretty nicely. Just slowed the feedrate to half of the resaw king.