Chisels

I have a set of Stanley Baileys and they work well.

For bench chisels, the advantage of large sets is that it reduces the chances of having to re sharpen your chisels in the middle of whatever you're doing, since you can just use another chisel of similar size if the one you're using became dull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

My dovetail chisels are all ground down from old blue handled 1/4" chisels I bought off of ebay for 10 bucks or so.  I needed some for replacement drawer parts I made for a priceless 18th Century sideboard.

Thats what I did as well. Works exactly as it should. 

I also have blue handle marples. They were ancient NOS from an estate sale for $10. The plastic packaging turned an opaque yellow. Despite their age, they still arent great chisels. The older ones from marples are supposedly better than the current version, but the edge retention leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a set of dewalt chisels from forever ago. They are about the same as quality as the marples. Finally, i have a 2" narex chisel because it is the only 2" chisel i could find. The handle is clunky and rough, but overall the chisel performs well. Didnt take too much time to flatten the back, and it seems to hold an edge longer than the marples and dewalts. Whenever i decide to start putting money into woodworking again(just bought a 4 wheel comatic power feeder and a tilting bracket to the tune of $1700), chisels are priority #1. balance, grip, edge retention are all things im looking to improve upon. I agree with other sentiments that you really could get away with 2 high quality chisels. Those two would most likely serve you better than the 8 mediocre chisels I have on a magnetic rack in front of my bench. Still, i think im into those chisels for $20 and about 50x that in waterstones. 

Questioned if the back really was easy to flatten on the narex, and i went back to the thread i started asking about wide chisels. That bugger took forever to flatten completely! Turning 30 has clearly changed all perception of the past and reality itself. 

Edited by Pwk5017
Faded memory

1 hour ago, I B said:

To me, the Narex are awesome. I can't really compare them to anything of quality though. My only other chisels are these Kobalts from Lowe's.

wood_chisels_kobalt.jpg

I'm still not really used to how they feel yet, they're a lot lighter than the Kobalts.

I dont have the Narex chisels, but i do have a couple of those Kobalt chisels. I find the big handle and the weight very uncomfortable. I wouldnt buy another one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, Pwk5017 said:

I also have blue handle marples. They were ancient NOS from an estate sale for $10. The plastic packaging turned an opaque yellow. Despite their age, they still arent great chisels. The older ones from marples are supposedly better than the current version, but the edge retention leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a set of dewalt chisels from forever ago. They are about the same as quality as the marples. Finally, i have a 2" narex chisel because it is the only 2" chisel i could find. The handle is clunky and rough, but overall the chisel performs well. Didnt take too much time to flatten the back, and it seems to hold an edge longer than the marples and dewalts. Whenever i decide to start putting money into woodworking again(just bought a 4 wheel comatic power feeder and a tilting bracket to the tune of $1700), chisels are priority #1. balance, grip, edge retention are all things im looking to improve upon. I agree with other sentiments that you really could get away with 2 high quality chisels. Those two would most likely serve you better than the 8 mediocre chisels I have on a magnetic rack in front of my bench. Still, i think im into those chisels for $20 and about 50x that in waterstones. 

Questioned if the back really was easy to flatten on the narex, and i went back to the thread i started asking about wide chisels. That bugger took forever to flatten completely! Turning 30 has clearly changed all perception of the past and reality itself. 

Thank you very much for your insight.