Sharpening Station

..Kev

5 hours ago, bushwacked said:

Nice quick project! Did it make sharpening a little more bearable?

What about water or oil from sharpening? Will the finish help protect it decently well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water will certainly take its toll over time but the removable tray make cleaning it up pretty simple. 

I like having it out if I’m doing a lot of hand tool work. Less excuses for not having sharp tools. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I like having it out if I’m doing a lot of hand tool work.

I wish that when I purchased my Norton stones I could have afforded the Shapton stones.  Having to soak ahead of time the Norton stones making it a little more of a process and takes more space.

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

I wish that when I purchased my Norton stones I could have afforded the Shapton stones.  Having to soak ahead of time the Norton stones making it a little more of a process and takes more space.

Chet you could just keep them in a Rubbermaid with water, that's what I have been doing.

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

So how long have you had your Norton stones constantly in water Bryan ? 

I was thinking of the moisture issue with Kev's stand. I've got a stack of corian countertop scraps, water won't phase it but it sure wouldn't look as nice.

Steve, I think it has been about 3 months.  I changed the water after my last sharpening session (6 weeks ago).  I keep in the house, so that the water doesn't freeze.  I am not qualified to tell if I'm am affecting in any way, but I just don't see how keeping them in water will hurt them.

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

So how long have you had your Norton stones constantly in water Bryan ? 

I was thinking of the moisture issue with Kev's stand. I've got a stack of corian countertop scraps, water won't phase it but it sure wouldn't look as nice.

I guess I wasn't too concerned with the moisture issue since it's so small, replaceable, and really, just shop scrap.  Valid point though nonetheless! 

• Like 1

Corian glue kits are one way but I just use Devcn epoxy.  I always keep it around. I've had bottles sitting on the shelf for years and still work well. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Devcon-Clear-Epoxy-Adhesive/4006643?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Paint-_-Glue-_-4006643:Devcon&CAWELAID=&kpid=4006643&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1507&k_clickID=a29f673b-4af1-4717-97e5-d919a40a67a8&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYOMK3NGHGyhxuXnrFW9svXnSp60IEEw_TBVYeeln03QZivkGyT3pihcaAotNEALw_wcB

I'm sure West Systems would work just fine too. I've never needed quantity and the Devcon is available at the big box or hardware store.