Planer diagnosis

collinb

After working that hard maple a bit (but not a lot, really) and given that the planer has some age to it, problems are no surprise.

It does its work just fine. But a couple of days ago it started rattling quote loud. I don't know the mechanics of these things (brown Delta 22-540) but am curious if anyone knows where to start looking? Or does it generally end up being a full tear-down?

The rattle is at startup and reduces when wood is fed through.

Something that comes to mind now, and I thought it might just be my imagination at the time, but it seemed material was being pulled from one side to the other as it passed through. That makes me think some mount might be loose.

( I always take small cuts. Usually I give the handle a 1/4 or at most 1/3 turn per pass. Takes a number of passes to get 1/4" off.)

Planers are by their nature quite loud. But this was a 25% increase.

At least I don't have any upcoming plans for it so there's time to look into repair.

or if I get rich somehow this next week I'll just get a 735x.

My guess is a bad feedroll bearing.  This would cause the board to track to one side.  The noise may be board chatter on the bad bearing side.  Unplug your planer and try moving the feedroll up and down with your hand, be careful of the knives in the planer head.  If you can feel any movement in the feedroll then one or both bearings is bad.  Always replace both bearings.

9 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

My guess is a bad feedroll bearing.  This would cause the board to track to one side.  The noise may be board chatter on the bad bearing side.  Unplug your planer and try moving the feedroll up and down with your hand, be careful of the knives in the planer head.  If you can feel any movement in the feedroll then one or both bearings is bad.  Always replace both bearings.

That's making sense. Still, a tear-down in the future.

• 1 month later...

After work yesterday I took it apart. Turns out it's the gear box on the roller drive. And the parts are no longer available. So I'm thinking that I will either

a ) part it out or

b ) remove the rollers & blades, add a speed adjustment pot, and turn it into a 12" drum sander for smaller items. Maybe.