Finish Options for a Treasured Table

123fdhgioo

Hey everyone,

I have a client with a funky little table made out of hockey sticks. It was built 40 years ago by his friend's father as a gift. It has seen years of interesting repairs, which I am in the process of undoing and getting back into good shape.

Because the top is made out of hockey sticks, it has 1/8" V-grooves every 1 1/4" or so, where the chamfers from two sticks meet. To make this a more usable surface, I suggested using a high build finish to level out the top.

I have a few questions relating to this:

• Should I be concerned about the interaction between the finish on the hockey sticks (which I cannot remove without removing the labels on the sticks) and whatever I put over top?
  • The client wants the finish to have a matte, rather than glossy, appearance -- what might be the best finish keeping this in mind?
  • Any other concerns I should be aware of?

I have used West Systems epoxy many times in the past, for countertops (joints, not finish) and mold making for sinks. I was thinking about using it for this, but now I am second guessing myself.

Thanks for your help!

unnamed.jpg

I would think sweat, blood and maybe the occasional tooth would be used on a hockey stick table.  <grin>

If you rub a finish with a maroon Scotch brite pad it will reduce the gloss. If you follow it with a gray pad it will bring the sheen up to a satin. Follow that with a white pad and you can buff it up to a semigloss. 

It seems to me that the most important thing about this table are the labels. I would not do anything that might have an adverse effect on them, especially adding a new finish. I can't think of any finish you can put on it that would be reversible without harming the labels. It is a unique piece and I would treat it like an antique doing the minimum to make it structurally sound and keep it original. If you want to make the top more usable, consider putting a piece of glass or acrylic on it. If you do this, be sure to use the small plastic buttons to hold the glass or plastic up off of the wood.

Man i used to LOVE Christian Bros hockey sticks. I broke more of them then i could even begin to count. That table is pretty much an antique you can't buy those sticks any more.

Does he want the top flat? If your worried about adhesion on the sticks might a dewaxed shellac help with adhesion? If he doesn't ant the table flat i'd try for some sort of thicker build finish.

I can't even remember what type of wood they made hockey sticks out of. I want to say it was pine, anything would be heavy. Maybe poplar.

I've noticed a variety of construction techniques. Some of the sticks are solid wood like Cheeset said. Others are laminated with thin layers of wood...almost like Baltic birch, but maybe even thinner.

I'll definitely share photos of the finished product when it's all done.

Thanks everyone!