Whoops! Spar Urethane

Travis Anderson

Hey guys, need some advice. I accidentally used 1 coat of spar urethane on my end tables for inside my house. I wanted to use a clear coat/sealer to help prevent water rings and such. Sanding them down is not really an option due to the design on the tops. What do you think would be the best option for applying an interior clear on top of spar urethane? If there even is one..

Thank you so much in advance!

If the color of the spar urathane doesn't bug you, just roll with that. It will be ever so slightly softer and more flexible that an 'interior' varnish, but still a suitable finish for the job. I would worry about putting a brittle-hard interior too coat over the more flexible spar. Might be more likely to peel.

Spar urethane is a softer finish thst can expand and contract with outdoor trmperatures without cracking. It probably also has some UV inhibiters. The downside is that being softer, it is a little less abraision resistant than interior urethane. Fully cured, I see no reason why after a light scuffing tou cannot continue with the interior urethane. Spar is not that soft. I put a few coats on the 2x4 rail and dowel pegs I put in my garage to hang garden tools. After 20 years of abuse they still look good. If it were me, I would continue with the spar varnish. It is available in the various degrees of gloss. I used Minwax.

It doesn't need to be an "interior" varnish just because it's inside.  I'm no expert on varnishes like some of the other guys here, but I expect someone here will know what will adhere.  I would think any solvent based varnish would work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk