What should I use for a wood top wall unit?

Jayson

I was thinking of making a wall unit like this one. To make the top I was thinking about making it out of 2, 2 x 6 boards, by cutting off the rounded edges joining them together with dowels or biscuit joiners. Would this create issues in the future with wood movement? Also any tips on how to fix any warped boards would be appreciated. This wall unit is being shipped to a warmer climate in Jamaica.

Thanks for your help its appreciated 

IMG-20180604-WA0004.jpg

Construction lumber seems to be about the worst for crazy amounts of twisting, cupping, warping, checking, you name it. This is partially due to poor drying & being super fast growth with lots of pith. What's the humidity like where you are vs. Jamaica?

To get better quality wood, buy 2x12s & rip them down to remove the pith at the center & then glue them back together to get your desired width. If you pick the lumber carefully, you can end up with mostly quarter sawn, which will be much more stable.

Keep us posted on this build. I'm going to be frank here (pun intended); in your past projects, you've used some poor techniques & materials, but still have managed to come up with some pretty cool looking stuff. I love seeing how people progress with their skills.

• Like 2

I might get lynched on these boards for this but....

Ikea sells counter tops that have an 1/8" veneer wrapped around MDF. The price is pretty damn good too. They have walnut and oak and a couple other veneers. I have seen it in person and it looks good because it is actually 1/8" of real hard wood. The MDF will also keep the wood movement to a minimum.

Here is a link: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50335208/#/50335208

I am going to go run for the hills before everyone here gets their torches and pitch forks.

18 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Construction lumber seems to be about the worst for crazy amounts of twisting, cupping, warping, checking, you name it. This is partially due to poor drying & being super fast growth with lots of pith. What's the humidity like where you are vs. Jamaica?

To get better quality wood, buy 2x12s & rip them down to remove the pith at the center & then glue them back together to get your desired width. If you pick the lumber carefully, you can end up with mostly quarter sawn, which will be much more stable.

Keep us posted on this build. I'm going to be frank here (pun intended); in your past projects, you've used some poor techniques & materials, but still have managed to come up with some pretty cool looking stuff. I love seeing how people progress with their skills.

Okay thanks yeah ill use the 2x12s and glue them together after I remove the pith (ill have to research that) The humidity in Jamaica is higher than here in Georgia but not by that much. Ill keep you posted. I can respect constructive criticism, :) i'm still learning.  

Haha. Thanks

15 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

I might get lynched on these boards for this but....

Ikea sells counter tops that have an 1/8" veneer wrapped around MDF. The price is pretty damn good too. They have walnut and oak and a couple other veneers. I have seen it in person and it looks good because it is actually 1/8" of real hard wood. The MDF will also keep the wood movement to a minimum.

Here is a link: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50335208/#/50335208

I am going to go run for the hills before everyone here gets their torches and pitch forks.

Pith is just the center "dot" of the growth rings when viewed on the end grain. Some folks 'improve' construction lumbe by purchasing the widest possible boards, which almost always are cut across the center of the tree. Then saw down the length to remove a half to one inch on either side of the center pith, and glue the remainder back together. That produces a board that is 8 to 9 inches wide, and almost entirely quarter-sawn, the most stable cut. 

But its still too wet to make really stable furniture. If you really want/need to use construction lumber, its best to buy it, rip out the pith, then stack, sticker, and weight it to dry for at least a couple of months before use. In GA, translate that to a couple of years. :D