Couch table using Japanese joinery

Anna-Liisa Re

Hi!

I`m Anna-Liisa from a small workshop TOOLS TOGETHER in Dresden, Germany. I work together with my partner Hannes and we design and build furniture using Japanese joinery technique. We want to make furniture in 3D puzzle principle. We do it because we recently moved to Germany from 2000 km abroad and obviously didn`t take our furniture with us. Although I would have wanted to do that, it is just not reasonable to move furniture from one country to another. That brought us to idea that perhaps we can find a way how furniture would be more mobile. 
If furniture is made of puzzle pieces it`s also easier to storage. We don`t use glue or screws by woodworking. I can`t say our woodworking style is Japanese, because we are also using power tools. Anyway, we are very much impressed by Japanese woodworkers. We also have made a video about the building process. I would appreciate any kind of feedback and also the critique.

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Very interesting! I am curious to see how it performs over time.

Thank you!

We are curious too. Now I understand why they say that prototyping is  a very expensive and long process. We don`t know how the furniture will last over the time. Only time will tell us that... 

I'm curious about what species of wood was used, especially in the locking leg joint. Very clever way to assemble the table, but it involves some rather delicate parts. Definitely not something I would trust in a North American softwood species, and probably not in many hardwoods. The material available in Germany may be very diffierent than what I am familiar with.

16 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm curious about what species of wood was used, especially in the locking leg joint. Very clever way to assemble the table, but it involves some rather delicate parts. Definitely not something I would trust in a North American softwood species, and probably not in many hardwoods. The material available in Germany may be very diffierent than what I am familiar with.

Hey! It`s the beech we used by this table. It is not the hardest but I think it is strong enough. We will see it over time of course. Pine would definitely not be a good choice or other soft wood species.  

• Thanks 1