Beginner lathe

Matt Truiano

What sort of things would you like to turn? Lathes come in many sizes and configurations, so a little background on what you'd like to accomplish will help get better responses.

In general, wood lathes come in three general sizes: mini, mid, and full (full size covers a lot of ground, though).

Mini lathes are great for really tight spaces, but only handle small objects like pens, bottle stoppers, toy tops, etc.

Mid-sized lathes still fit on your benchtop, but can handle slightly larger objects. Tool handles, short spindles, small bowls.

Full sized lathes usually have their own stand, and start out at a size that can turn objects 10 to 12 inches in diameter, and 24 to 36 inches long. Options go up from there.

Price-wise, lots of folks get good service from the inexpensive lathes from Harbor Freight. The models they sell are usually copies of older designs from other brands, and pretty basic. QC for JF tools is "like a box o' chocolates", so don't be surprised if you must take advantage of the return policy. 

If you are confident this will be a long-term hobby, I'd suggest skipping the HF deal, and look for a good used machine if you need to keep costs under control. Also be aware that the lathe itself is probably the least expensive thing you will buy. There are more aftermarket accessories you "need" for lathe work than there are off-road accessories for a basic jeep.

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpful response. From the sounds of it, I will benefit from a mid size lathe. I'd be looking to make tool handles, maybe small table legs. I'm sure I'll want to make a bowl at some point but that's not an immediate interest. What other accessories would you recommend getting right off the bat for basic turning 

also do you recommend traditional turning chisels or is it okay to get replaceable carbide tip tools. I know there are people out there that will suggest learning the basics with traditional tools and then move on to newer techniques. Just want to hear some opinions. 

I have an old midi lathe (original Nova Comet), and I've been a fan of the midi size. It can turn more than pens and bottle stoppers, but can also fairly easily be moved around and stored away when not in use, if space is limited.

Just keep in mind that the cost of accessories quickly exceeds the cost of a lathe, especially if you go with a Harbor Freight lathe. Depending on what you want to turn and what comes with your lathe, you may need to buy a chuck, various chuck jaws, mandrels, drill chuck, faceplates, tool rests, and of course the turning tools. Also think about what you'll need to sharpen the turning tools, if you go with traditional tools.

Harbor Freight also sells inexpensive sets of traditional turning tools. These work fine but do require more frequent sharpening than some of the more expensive options. However, this also gives you the opportunity to improve your sharpening skills without fear of ruining expensive tools.

If you are patient you can find good deals on a lathe with tools and accessories on Craigslist, which would be a good way to get into the world of turning without spending too much. You could also sign up for a turning class at Woodcraft or similar, which would give you the opportunity to give it a try before buying a bunch of stuff.

• Like 1

Traditional vs. Carbide tools is a debate that approaches religeous fervor. I'll just say that the scraping action of the carbide tools is probably easier to control, but does not produce the same level of finish that traditional tools can. I see no compelling reason to choose one over the other, except perhaps that you don't resharpen carbide tools, just replace the tips.

I think there is good advice above, and there are lots of informative discussions in the Turners Corner.  I'll give you my opinion, with the understaning that there is no right answer to your question.  

I have been turning for about 14 months and found it, as many do, to be highly addicting.  It's all I really want to do these days.  So I suggest looking at the lathe you might want in a few months or next year, rather than just today.  Keep in mind that a good lathe has good resale value.  

I have the Nova 1624 lathe which is a small full size or large midi depending on your view.   I have not turned pens so I don't know its suitabiity there, but otherwise no limitations, a lot of features and room to grow with your interests.  

I don't know your space or storage limitations.  But I have mine on a mobile base and it is easy to roll around.  Bench mounted no single person is going to be able to pick it up.

I don't know your price range, but the list on the 1624 is $1000 and I bought it on sale for $850.  That puts it pricewise in between the typical midi and full size.  I am not in the market, but I'm not aware of any other lathe in this price point.

What I suggest you do is look at the features and specs of the 1624 and use it as a point of comparison for other new or used lathes.  

As others have said used stuff is good stuff so if you are considering a used lathe I suggest joining your local turning club.  This may be a better resource than Craig's List.

• Like 1