Stampy's re-new shop

Stampy

Hey all;

Just joined the forum, so I figured I'd show you my hiding spot.

The building is 10'x16' and originally was an implement shed built in 1910ish for the orchard that is now my neighbourhood. (Lots of fruit trees around)

I poured concrete over the old rough floor and put in more wall studs as the old ones were on 21....22...26...inch centers. There are only 2 original studs as a result.

Natural light and a view of the back yard was key in this project. My wife has an amazing garden. So I replaced the two 10"x10" windows with the ones you see in the pictures. I found the windows locally. The came out of an old estate home in the area.

I installed a 40 amp service with separate circuits for all the receptacles other than the ones built into the bench.

Insulation and drywall plus one wall sheeted with 1/2 in Mahogany ply wood finish the interior. The plywood is so that I can mount anything I want, anywhere I want.

Assembly table and new Steel City table saw are on wheels for convienience.

I have a few things still to do to the exterior and a coat of paint to put on the walls....If i ever stop making sawdust in there.

Thats about it.

Thanks

Stampy

post-3759-0-33768100-1297213906_thumb.jp

post-3759-0-38910700-1297213923_thumb.jp

Very nice looking shop. Looks like you have maximized your wall space. Would love to see more in-depth photos of what you have done. There are always question around here on how to use smaller spaces more efficiently. It would give others great ideas I am sure. Thanks for sharing..

Very nice looking shop. Looks like you have maximized your wall space. Would love to see more in-depth photos of what you have done. There are always question around here on how to use smaller spaces more efficiently. It would give others great ideas I am sure. Thanks for sharing..

Thank you;

I wish I had some before shots to compare.

The windows are great and the shop was designed around them. The walls are only 7 feet high, so I put collar ties in the rafters to have a semi cathedral ceiling, and the lights were mounted on the sloped part. In one picture you can see a couple of 2x4's sticking out of the ceiling (there are 4 of them), this is for a rack for sheet goods that will swing up flush to the ceiling. Yet to be designed but lite and sturdy will be the parameters. And obviously a fool proof retraction system that won't result in a sheet of plywood to the forhead.

More to follow...

Stampy

post-3759-0-89130100-1297273015_thumb.jp

post-3759-0-40868200-1297273089_thumb.jp

post-3759-0-03653400-1297273111_thumb.jp

post-3759-0-01357700-1297273166_thumb.jp

Shop looks fantastic! And you are in the great Pacific Northwest to boot!

I really like the cabinets and drawers that you have on the back wall. I would like to do something similar in my shop. I still have some work to do, but then again, I think that everybody else does too. That seems to be part of the fun of haveing a shop and building in it, always trying to improve on the layout and make it work better. Most think that bigger is better when it comes to a shop, but I am not personally convinced. My shop is roughly 18'x 26 with a 5'x10' dogleg and I could use more space... or let's say that I would use the space, but don't necessarily "need" it. I started out in a space that was 9'x 17', roughly the same as you have, and reflecting back on it, I think that I appreciate it more now than I did then. I felt more of a sense of accomplishment having produced something nice out of a smaller space and the challenges that it can pose when making something like, say, a set of bunk beds. Anyway... enough of my random remenicent thoughts.

You have a great looking shop and something to be very proud and thankful for, which I sense that you are! ;)

Shop looks fantastic! And you are in the great Pacific Northwest to boot!

I really like the cabinets and drawers that you have on the back wall. I would like to do something similar in my shop. I still have some work to do, but then again, I think that everybody else does too. That seems to be part of the fun of having a shop and building in it, always trying to improve on the layout and make it work better. Most think that bigger is better when it comes to a shop, but I am not personally convinced. My shop is roughly 18'x 26 with a 5'x10' dogleg and I could use more space... or let's say that I would use the space, but don't necessarily "need" it. I started out in a space that was 9'x 17', roughly the same as you have, and reflecting back on it, I think that I appreciate it more now than I did then. I felt more of a sense of accomplishment having produced something nice out of a smaller space and the challenges that it can pose when making something like, say, a set of bunk beds. Anyway... enough of my random remenicent thoughts.

You have a great looking shop and something to be very proud and thankful for, which I sense that you are! ;)

Thank you. Indeed I am and have received many kind words such as yours as to my efforts.

As for the bench I built the frame out of 2x4 stock that I milled down to 1 1/2x3 to get a crisp corner. The opening for the drawers are 2'x4'. I then built boxes out of 3/4" Good One Side Fir Ply to fit that opening. Then the drawers out of 1/2" Birch ply. Dimensions where done this way to maximize a full sheet of plywood with as few off cuts as possible. I'll figure out something funky for the fronts one of these days. I like this look rather than a stock cabinet style.

There are cleats attached to the wall that span the whole bench. The back of the boxes and the top rest on them.

I even bought 14' 2x4's then cut them in half for the stud's. I hate to waste offcuts.

Cheers

Stampy

I too like your bench a lot. All those drawers makes for great storage. I'm a fan of drawers on base cabinets intead of doors on base cabinets. By the way, I see a lock on your door, but I might suggest additional security. I have a close friend who got his tools stolen from a shop very similar to yours. It totally sucks. When he told me about it, my shop was an outbuilding, so I went and got an Intermatic Motion detector with a key pad to program the code. I think it was like 25 bucks. It also came with stickers to put on the doors and windows to let would-be theives know that there was a security system in place. It was a small investment, but it gave me piece of mind. You may want to consider it.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/safety%20and%20security/consumer/wireless%20burglar%20alarms/sp230b.aspx

Thanks Chet

The work bench and drawers are a warm up to renovating the kitchen next year. I like designs that are a little different and I think this would be an interesting look. With a nice wood for the frame and some cool drawer fronts I think it would look good. Maybe reclaimed Fir frame and Arbutus drawer fronts?

The security idea is a valid one for sure. Those doors are temporary. I'm going to build fir carriage style doors with fortress style security, with small frosted glass panes.

Stampy