Fading cutting board after first use?

Eddie Wilson

My first cutting boards (bear with me),  3 coats of Boos mineral oil (overnight between coats) and then two coats of Boos board cream (overnight between coats), and then waited a week before using. 

First use was a hot steak, 5-10 minutes off the grill (probably not the best “first run” idea, but I was excited, and hey... it’s steak) and noticed this fading once I wiped it down with warm water. I assume it’s just that top new layer of wax coming off. Is this expected/normal? Or did I do something wrong?

1C329E92-9513-4D3B-9752-DD13F52AD6F4.thumb.jpeg.877e38f61c076d3ca15b9b974f6a1d6c.jpeg

A water test doesn’t show any absorption, most just concerned cuz I plan on making a bunch for Christmas gifts so want to make sure I did it right, and I can say “ya, the fading is normal, just rub some board cream on it” when family and friends have similar experiences.

Relax and enjoy using the board. It will show some degradation as it is used.  But occasional sanding and re oiling will spruce up the appearance. I've got a cutting board my grandfather made for my mother when she was a young bride long before I was born.  I sanded one side to my expectations of perfection and left the other side showing plenty of imperfections he deemed acceptable.  When my Mom's twin sister passed I treated her cutting board the same way for my sister to use.  Most of the time a rinse with hot water and drying is all that is needed for decades of use. 

• Like 2