Bedroom Audio

Chestnut

26 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

So it all runs from your phone/ tablet ?

Laptop. I run it off of Bluetooth when i don't care about quality but with decent speakers and well staged sound you can really hear the awful quality over Bluetooth so i have the good ole 3.5mm jack near by. It absolutely baffles me why phone manufactures  have started removing that useful expansion port i use mine daily. I get why that one company was motivated to remove it to make more money off of dongles but all the other followers i don't get.

42 minutes ago, Damon777 said:

That is pretty cool. Care to share a link for the amp?

Woofers. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-8-6-1-2-classic-woofer--295-305

Tweeter. https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-sc5-8-shielded-1-2-polycarbonate-tweeter-8-ohm--292-552

Crossover. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-xo2w-3k-2-way-speaker-crossover-3000-hz--260-144

Amp. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wf60pa-60w-class-d-full-range-21-plate-amplifier-with-wi-fi-and-bluetooth-40-a--300-781

So the exact one i bought isn't available any more but the one i linked is the same thing but better and cheaper. I just now realized that it's 30 watts per channel RMS not peak so it's got more power than i originally though.

I always do full sealed enclosures for my woofers because i like the frequency response i get from it better.

I was way into the audio (both car and home) about 15-20 years ago. The amp I am using down there is 4 ohm stable.

I was solidly into car audio, and had a dang good mobile SQ setup at one point (Sony XES source, PG amplification, Dynaudio and JL for loudspeakers). Then I put together a modest home setup (Adcom amp, Magnepan speakers) and realized that the automotive environment would never compete with that. Now good enough is plenty good for video games and the occasional movie.

Nice project!

It's so easy and convenient for people to just grab a bluetooth speaker and play music through that rather than 'real' speakers. You don't have to break the bank to get far better sound that- as you said - fills the room.

I good friend of mine just moved and the new house has in-ceiling speakers in a room with wall volume control. Unfortunately we can't find the input end of the wires anywhere. I'm convinced that the previous owners pushed them back into the wall before installing a built-in for their TV and wall mounted surround sound equipment. :angry: We'll have to get in the crawl space to see if we can find where it is running.

2 hours ago, Damon777 said:

I was way into the audio (both car and home) about 15-20 years ago. The amp I am using down there is 4 ohm stable.

I was solidly into car audio, and had a dang good mobile SQ setup at one point (Sony XES source, PG amplification, Dynaudio and JL for loudspeakers). Then I put together a modest home setup (Adcom amp, Magnepan speakers) and realized that the automotive environment would never compete with that. Now good enough is plenty good for video games and the occasional movie.

My shop speakers are CDT components ran off a PA amp. Those suckers can handle 180W RMS per channel which ins't easy to find. I currently am feeding them something like 80 per channel and the amp can't quite drive them to their full potential. They rarely get turned up to that point but when Megan is out of town and i'm trying to hear music through hearing protection over a DW735 the power is nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I'm sure the neighbors love it woodworking and loud music LOL

I'm 8' in the ground if they aren't standing outside the shop window i doubt they'd know. Besides my neighbor probably can't hear over the grinding and welding he does on his 1950s Jag. All my other neighbors are too far away to hear anything.