The duststopper

blackoak

I'm curious if anybody has tried this , because I don't see anybody talking about it much. To me , it looks like a thien baffle in it's design . Great on "chips", Fair on the "fine dust". It would save me some space on a DC system inside a miter station , as opposed to a small Dust Deputy .  There is a few Youtube reviews , and it catches all the chips "in the bucket" The fines are what I'm worried about . 

I question the capacity since the bucket acts as "cone" and collection bin.  The level couldn't get too high.  At least at HD you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs.  It is priced close to the Dust Deputy which is a known quantity.  The DD removes the need for the vacuum's barrel.  Both of my "6HP" shop vacs use shop made filter boxes.  I think I have a pic on here . . . . Oh yeah, here they are.

5a7e5ec3e6ae8_DD-Vac-V2(14).jpg.4e170f46e9f98f8704966655b730a4ad.jpg5a7e5ec822582_DD-Vac-V2(18).jpg.2ea3cebb44b393b8efcb7ac5caa62270.jpg

This gives you a bit of flexibility in how you configure the vac motor versus separation/collection bin.  This filter box is actually a little oversized but, both of them are just built out of scraps.  Here's the other one; the box on the right is not part of it.

5872f094c4b1e_RidgidVacMadv1(12).jpg.812752e2c414aff0901644b07b34adcc.jpg

• Like 2

Hey John, yes I remember that thread , but the search didn't find it.  I think Gee-Dub has a point on the limited capacity potentially . I can take 1/2 the bucket and connect it with the large bin below for massive capacity, but I wonder if sticking with the DD  is the way to go . I have a bin that would be ideal w/  the duststopper, and not w/ the height of the DD and its hoses on top. So really, my bin is the problem, which could be replaced if ness.  The DD is a "known" good performer , nothing to worry about. Just didn't want a DD on a 5 gal. bucket.

I agree, this will require frequent emptying. I made my home version using a 30 gallon barrel. The barrel I chose is full height, so the chips are far from the suction area until near full capacity. You could use a full 55 gallon drum, but I find the 30 gallon much easier to maneuver when you need to empty it.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1601MB-Polyethylene-Lever-lock-Capacity/dp/B0025QI4XC/ref=pd_cp_468_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=SY0FGY0MW1KQQPQP5TZP&pd_rd_wg=PB5we&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=K2QAE&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=70d5af9b-f56e-11e8-92ad-dd4cc9d0f0bc&pd_rd_i=B0025QI4XC&psc=1&refRID=SY0FGY0MW1KQQPQP5TZP

Some random YouTube guy I hadn't heard of did a pretty good review/comparison between this thing and the standard dust deputy.  It is absolutely a thein baffle, as far as I can tell. 

The review made it look very effective, but I also don't know if I could put up with a 5 gallon collection bin.  My current shop vac separator doesn't separate very well, but it's on a 10 (or maybe 15?) gallon bin.  I have to empty it more than I want. 

https://youtu.be/10d3FmhosnQ

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Some random YouTube guy I hadn't heard of did a pretty good review/comparison between this thing and the standard dust deputy.  It is absolutely a thein baffle, as far as I can tell. 

The review made it look very effective, but I also don't know if I could put up with a 5 gallon collection bin.  My current shop vac separator doesn't separate very well, but it's on a 10 (or maybe 15?) gallon bin.  I have to empty it more than I want. 

https://youtu.be/10d3FmhosnQ

I hear ya just jointing the material for the top of my dining room table filled my 35 gallon bin. Filled it again planing it all down. Emptying twice in 1 day was not high on the fun list.

The parts I wonder are  1 - how much of the bucket must be retained as a "cone" to effective ( 1/2 - 2/3 ? ) . 2 -  miter saws create  what exactly in  chips / fine dust ? All chips  ? 50 - 50 ?  More fines ? If the consensus was  "mostly fines ", I think I would  replace the bin , and go w/ Dust Deputy . This bin I would like to use is the reason for my flip flopping . Also the the miter station has a 12 inch  , a 8.5 inch , hard piped w/ 2.5 inch  pipe and fittings  . the only flex is from the blade guards to the pipe . I know ,  overkill . 

I think you'd need to retain most of the depth, otherwise it just starts bypassing the bucket and going through the blower. With my barrel, I need to dump when there is less than perhaps 12 inches below the lid, otherwise it starts bypassing. Unfortunately with a 5 gallon bucket, that will be most of your depth. Worse, with the smaller diameter, it my be even easier to bypass. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

I think you'd need to retain most of the depth, otherwise it just starts bypassing the bucket and going through the blower. With my barrel, I need to dump when there is less than perhaps 12 inches below the lid, otherwise it starts bypassing. Unfortunately with a 5 gallon bucket, that will be most of your depth. Worse, with the smaller diameter, it my be even easier to bypass. 

In the video bleedinblue posted, it looked like the guy filled the 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full (within ~ 5 inches of the top), and didn't get any significant blow-by into the shop vac.  Couldn't tell what the mix of chips/fine stuff was in the test, but it didn't look like all fine dust.

2 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

In the video bleedinblue posted, it looked like the guy filled the 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full (within ~ 5 inches of the top), and didn't get any significant blow-by into the shop vac.  Couldn't tell what the mix of chips/fine stuff was in the test, but it didn't look like all fine dust.

yeah, it will always depend on the specific set up. Blower and chip size are two of many variables. 

This is being installed in a built in "miter station" , and the space for  the  vac. / separator / bin is 24" D, 36'W, 40" H . As I stated before, the bin I'd like to use is a no go w/ the DD.  Given that however, a bin w/ the DD  that would fit under the 40" H seems the obvious step.  My first choice in bins works beautifully in that small space , yet it is 33 gal. in capacity, only 13" H . Huge capacity for a miter station. Thanks to everybody who has  commented. 

• Like 1

I'd say miter saws are corse dust. It's no where near drum sander fine but even one of these should catch most of the fines from a drum sander. The nice part about the separators n shop vacs is they can be designed to a smaller diameter which allows for  higher velocities and more spin the velocity around the outside of the separator dictates the efficiency. Hence why when i run my drum sander on my 3hp cyclone i always run 2 ports open.

The #1 key to these small guys is to completely seal the bucket and the lid to the bucket. Also to make sure you clean the finer before the suction and as a result the velocity drops in the separator. Ahh fluid dynamics such an interesting topic. Wish i was able to take more of you in college.

just to sum up , I modified the cabinet to allow the Dust Deputy to work w/ this bin I have. Had to tweek the doors and face frame , and the mobile platform  it rests on .  I guess it's a "do it right the first time "thing . I will be interesting to see if the Duststopper  catches on .

• Like 1