Splinters after sanding

lewisc

I've posted this on an Aussie Woodworking forum with the hope of getting some local timber knowledge. I thought I'd give it a go here as well.

I think splinters could be the right word. If anyone has a better word, I’ll use that. 

I've just glued up a Vic Ash panel for my new desk top. After running it through the drum sander at 100g on the slowest speed, the surface has got all these little splinters in a few spots. I’ve epoxied up a some gum veins and will start with the orbital sander today. 

Anyone seen this before and have any remedies? I’m planning on sanding to 240 and using OSMO PolyX to finish. My initial thought is something to do with the growing process being quick compared to some recycled timber that I’ve used which is much denser.

IMG_9106.jpeg

IMG_9105.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

It seems fairly straight grained. It's only in a some parts across the whole board.

I was putting it through the sander from both ends. Raising the height a bit and then going for a few more passes. I was going to hit it with 60g on the ROS and go from there.

This happens with cedar also when planing. This is a sign of either heat softening the lignin, or the bond between growth rings just not being very strong. The grain running almost parallel leaves thin spots that taper to nothing in the middle of a board. I do not know the fix. I saw this while building things that could be left in a more rustic state, or puttied after paint. Interested what the other guys have to say. 

7 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

This happens with cedar also when planing. This is a sign of either heat softening the lignin, or the bond between growth rings just not being very strong. 

It's plantation timber so I figured it's grown and harvested quickly and hasn't had time to develop the density of older trees. I made our kitchen table from recycled timber that is a similar species but feels completely different in terms of density and weight. That table timber was probably pulled out of a warehouse that was build 50 years ago.