Interior Doors

Hi, I am fairly new to wood working – I mostly tackle smaller projects like trim work, but I wanted to try my hand at making an interior door like the picture attached

It was suggested that I use poplar for the rails and stiles with dowel joinery and 1/2” MDF for the paneling. My plan was to get some 2x poplar and plane it down to 1-3/8, but I’ve notice that 2x poplar isn’t really available. So I’m just looking for some advice on the best way to go about constructing this style of door.

IdEIeJX - Imgur.jpg

Since it is painted anyway, consider cutting poplar 1x into strips as wide as the desired door thickness, and glue them face-to-face to create "boards" as wide as you need for the rails & stiles. Sort of like an edge-grain cutting board. Turning the edge grain toward the resulting board's wide face should make it more stable and resistant to movement from humidity changes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I have not done mortice and tenon. Because I have the small and large version of the Festool domino cutters. In my view either or is good.Poplar is one of the most abundant timbers in North America. Google 8/4 poplar lumber. Add your address and see what pops up. I think a 5/4 or 6/4 door inside would be adequate. Door making requires straight lumber. No heart wood. An experienced eye buying or ordering the wood can matter.