Dust collector canister upgrade

Matt Truiano

I've had the HF dust collector for many years and finally got tired of seeing fine dust on everything in the shop.

I bought a cartridge filter from Wynn (Wynn filters for HF). They make several that are sized specifically for the unit.

The one that I got is a MERV 15 and was about $200. I also added an Oneida Super Dust Deputy and between the two of them, it makes a world of difference.

Oneida has a HEPA filter retrofit kit as well.

https://www.oneida-air.com/true-hepa-dust-collector-filter-retrofit-kit

I want to saw there is a 3rd option but i can't remember it off the top of my head. If you don't put a cyclone in the system you'll want to clean the filter frequently. probably every other time you empty the dust bag.

In the next week or so I'll begin the upgrade on our HF unit to convert it to a two-stage dust collector.  I replaced the 5 micron bag 'filter' with a Wynn 0.5 micron a couple of years ago because of the aforementioned fine dust on everything.  One side benefit in upgrading to the Wynn filter is that I was having to clean the filters on our mini split unit sometimes twice each week, but after the upgrade I now can go 3-4 weeks without cleaning the filters.

I won't be using a cyclone on this two-stage conversion, though, but will instead use a Thien baffle.  I added one to my shop vac several years ago and it works great.

David

23 hours ago, Matt Truiano said:

The original impeller. I didn’t know upgrading the impeller was even a thing 

I know the idea has been discussed several time in this forum and elsewhere (e.g. Stumpy Nubs).  For some reason it has been dubbed "Rikonstein", so put that in your search terms.  

On 7/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, difalkner said:

In the next week or so I'll begin the upgrade on our HF unit to convert it to a two-stage dust collector.  I replaced the 5 micron bag 'filter' with a Wynn 0.5 micron a couple of years ago because of the aforementioned fine dust on everything.  One side benefit in upgrading to the Wynn filter is that I was having to clean the filters on our mini split unit sometimes twice each week, but after the upgrade I now can go 3-4 weeks without cleaning the filters.

I won't be using a cyclone on this two-stage conversion, though, but will instead use a Thien baffle.  I added one to my shop vac several years ago and it works great.

David

+1