Used Powermatic 60HH

ksnell

Hi all. New to the forum and looking for some advice. I am in the market for an 8" jointer for my home shop and was about to pull the trigger on the Grizzly 858 (helical cutterhead and parallelogram beds) but then saw this Powermatic 60HH (helical cutterhead and dovetail beds) pop up on Craigslist for $2,100. It was going to be $1,700 out the door for the Grizzly, so I am wondering, what is fair value for this Powermatic, and how much of an upgrade is this over the Grizzly keeping in mind the Powermatic does not have parallelogram beds. I am also pretty concerned about dropping that kind of money on a tool when he can't even power it up to test as it is in a storage unit (even though he says it is only 1 year old). Any help would be great.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/d/denton-like-new-8-powermatic-helical/6940126791.html 

If you have access to a generator that can put out the power required to turn on the jointer, I’d take that with you and fire it up before paying and driving off with the jointer, just to be sure. 

I’ll let more knowledgeable people weigh in on your other questions. 

You should be able to tell some what, the condition and age just by looking at the machine.  Chipped paint, dents may give some hint to the actual use.  Even looking at the blades and seeing how crisp the edges look.

I would call Powermatic and ask them if there is some way to tell the age of the machine based on he serial number.  Ask the present owner to bring a copy of the original sales receipt,  he should still have it for warranty purposes.  You might also ask Powermatic if the warranty is transferable.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JohnG said:

If you have access to a generator that can put out the power required to turn on the jointer, I’d take that with you and fire it up before paying and driving off with the jointer, just to be sure. 

I’ll let more knowledgeable people weigh in on your other questions. 

It's a great idea but I don't have access to one unfortunately, let alone one with 240v. Looks like you can rent a 3,000w generator with 240v from Home Depot for about $50 for 4hrs. Might be worth it for the peace of mind.

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

You should be able to tell some what, the condition and age just by looking at the machine.  Chipped paint, dents may give some hint to the actual use.  Even looking at the blades and seeing how crisp the edges look.

I would call Powermatic and ask them if there is some way to tell the age of the machine based on he serial number.  Ask the present owner to bring a copy of the original sales receipt,  he should still have it for warranty purposes.  You might also ask Powermatic if the warranty is transferable.

It certainly looks pretty fresh from the photos so might be worth checking in person if I can figure a competitive price.

Good call about the warranty. Looks like Powermatic warranties only cover the initial purchaser.

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/service-and-support/warranty/

1 hour ago, ksnell said:

It's a great idea but I don't have access to one unfortunately, let alone one with 240v. Looks like you can rent a 3,000w generator with 240v from Home Depot for about $50 for 4hrs. Might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Be aware that a 3000 W generator 'might' not start that jointer. The motor will draw many X the full load current on start up & many generators that would run the motor won't start it. I'd go with at least a 6000 W generator just to be safe.

But that probably doesn't matter, because you'd be kinda crazy to pay that much, even if it was new in box, when you can buy brand new with warranty for just a bit more.