Birch Butcher block desk advice

andrew1185

Hello!

I'm in the process of building a birch butcher block desk. The Wood comes from a company called Hardwood Reflections and is sold by Home Depot. For the desk i have bought 3 pieces, two of them are 4' x 2' x 1.5'' and the other is a 3' x 3'. My plan is to have the 3x3 in the corner and use the other two as wings. Here is the where i need some help, i want to cut a semi circle in the 3x3 at one corner to make a rounded L shaped desk. Ill attach a picture for clarity. Im hoping to use a jigsaw with a Bosch T101AO3  3-1/4 In blade and then a Flush Trim 3/8" CD x 2" CH bit, Im wondering if this will work with this type of wood. 

Thanks for your time in reading! 

corner_cut.jpeg

No reason you cutting plan won't work. I'd take care about cutting too close with the jigsaw, as the blade tends to wander to one side or the other in thick cuts like that. Might be right on the line on the top face, and a half-inch off underneath. Take it slow, don't push the cut, it will do better.

For flush trimming, I assume you plan to make a template to trim against?

Thanks for the quick reply! for the template i was going to use 3/4 inch mdf and cut out the semi circle, i drew up the measurements on google sketchup, i can upload if you use it. Question on the jigsaw suggestion, do you mean that should make a 45 degree outwards bevel cut?