sand flee

t-bone

hi everyone, say there's a new drum sander called the sand flee anyone here of it, or have used it? There's a 9" and 18" which would be best for a small shop and little money. Please let hear from someone with some info. iam a newbe

The Sand Flee came out about 4years ago. One of the drawbacks I saw, is that since it is just your hand pressure holding the wood down as you pass over the drum, it could result in inconsistant thickness. Also, for close to the same price, you can get a drum sander (Jet 10-20), which will give you much more control, ( for the record, thats what I have.) If you check craigslist you can even find a 16-32 unit for less! I really don't think its worth the price for what you get.

The sand flee, IMHO, is a great finish sander for small projects. Aligning different grit papers on the drum makes sanding through the grits a snap. However, you won't get the same finish as you will with a ROS but you do have a flat surface to sand against that will keep the wood surface flat. Plus, that's about all you can do with the Sand Flea, finish sanding. I agree that for the price, you can get a different tool that will do a little more.

• 1 month later...

I have the 18 inch sand flee and love it. I make lots of little boxes and it's great for removing the saw marks after re-sawing the bottom of the box and the lid liners. Also excellent for pieces of wood that are too short to run through the planer. I use my sand flee all the time. I especially loved the fact it was set up to connect to my dust collection system.

I haven't tried this yet, but thinking it will be helpful for sanding an end grain cutting board, which I plan to build in the near. future.

SQ