Do Not Like Greene & Greene

SeventyFix

I'm going to say it - I'm not a fan of the Greene & Greene style.  I see it a lot on the WWG (who I love) so I tried to get into it.  I bought a large hardcover book showing their history and works.  Still couldn't dig it.

I know and accept that this makes me a bad person.

But I just saw this on the site this AM:

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/fremont-chest-of-drawers/

WOW!  That's a work of art.  I might have to buy a project, for the first time, not with the intention of making it but rather to just watch the process.  This piece looks complicated and amazing.  

We were fortunate to have Darrell Peart come down for a weekend workshop at the school back in April when he was still working on this project, while at the same time finishing up a new book on the design process. He and his wife stayed with us while they were here. Darrell is a really open person and also a very early riser like me,  so I got to pick his brain a little about how he approaches his designs and methods over coffee out in my shop. It's a true process of evolution over many years.

I don't really come down quite as hard on G&G design as you, but I do think a little goes a long way. The style almost necessitates the right architecture to fit in. Like most styles that we attribute to a specific person or persons, it's the design elements that are taken to the extremes that become defining. I do like Darrell's Fremont theme. It seems a little toned down for lack of a better way of putting it.

And you're correct, the piece is fairly complicated. I made a variation of his Fremont Night Stand (turned it into a file cabinet) which is in the same design theme. It sure made me a believer in the details!

I don’t think this makes you a bad person at all. There are several styles that i am not a fan of that intrigue me for the Woodworking skill required to make the pieces. Federal style comes to mind heck even the current slab fad has produced some pretty cool pieces and while I have seen a couple I like I will never have one in my home.

I appreciate G&G from a woodworking stand point and I think the BIG difference is tastefully done and over done.

Some of the stuff that is made like Darrell's Fremont dresser or that bench that Marc made not that long ago look good to me. Then there are other G&G pieces that have 50x too many ebony plugs and it seems like the creator just went overboard.

It's like comparing the amount of sequence, glitter, feathers on a Vegas showgirl compared to a regular lady. One has none or an appropriate amount they other has way WAY too much, but it catches your eye.

4 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I'm going to say it - I'm not a fan of the Greene & Greene style.  I see it a lot on the WWG (who I love) so I tried to get into it.  I bought a large hardcover book showing their history and works.  Still couldn't dig it.

I know and accept that this makes me a bad person.

But I just saw this on the site this AM:

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/fremont-chest-of-drawers/

WOW!  That's a work of art.  I might have to buy a project, for the first time, not with the intention of making it but rather to just watch the process.  This piece looks complicated and amazing.  

No apologies necessary.  I cringe when I see all the curlicues, swan-necks and spindles on Queen Anna stuff . .. ugh!  Like many things in life, there is enough variety for all of us.  I was lucky to have been raised by parents who exposed me to a wide variety of styles in art, furniture, architecture, etc.  I have always been thankful.  I can enjoy something without really caring for it personally.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I'm going to say it - I'm not a fan of the Greene & Greene style. 

34 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I cringe when I see all the curlicues, swan-necks and spindles on Queen Anna stuff . .. ugh!

My wife (a psychologist) likes to say "and that's why they make both vanilla and chocolate, so everyone can find something that they enjoy."

Luckily, there are so many styles of furniture, everyone can find something that they enjoy making and having around.