Smashedfinger

Old Oliver 159-a Lathe

I'm looking at this lathe for purchase to use for general purpose turning; such as small bowls, spindles, pens. He said he would sell for 850.00. It has new bearings and runs very well. I am wondering if the lathe that was designed for pattern makers is good for general purpose, or I should look elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_4691.jpg

While I am sure it is a substantial piece of equipment, especially for the money, it's not going to have modern features that most turners would want.  For example:

Electronic variable speed

Reversible

A sliding or rotating head stock

Able to mount a vacuum chuck

$850 should get you at least half, if not three quarters, of the way to a modern lathe.  

Yes, what Mark said, you can get a nice modern lathe for about the same price or cheaper. Good luck as there are a lot of choices. And one good turn deserves another.

Have you looked at mini lathes?  I think $850 would be enough for a new one.  Otherwise look for a used midi.

Nova Comet II midi lathe starts at $500. It is reversible and has electronic speed control (3 belt settings). 12” diameter and 16.5” between centers. 

I'd be careful with any Delta tools.  Their customer service from what I've read here is that it's the poorest as are the tools.