I need design help.

jbiller79

So I inherited a table that my grandfather made his sister in the 80’s. It’s a drop leaf trestle table made out of pine. It’s special to me because my grandfather died 25 years ago and he always wanted me to help in the shop and learn but I was a kid and always too busy. I want to keep it for myself and put in our kitchen but it’s a little outdated and I am not a fan of the design. Any ideas to change it a little without messing up the original piece. I thought about staining it as dark as I could get it and then make curly maple wedges that go into the stringer. Also making benches to go with it. Any help would be appreciated. 

BE1661E2-BF89-4630-9810-22D17EF9A5DE.jpeg

1F40F886-2497-41AB-90B0-87DED5052A58.jpeg

At the risk of committing sacrilege on a woodworking forum, I'll suggest you consider painting part of the table.

I've seen some nice looking tables with a wood finish top and white, gray or gray-green legs/aprons or bases.  It makes for a lighter/brighter look, while maintaining the wood look on top.

As Ronn said, cutouts to lighten it, or leave it heavy but add carvings.

In a piece like that, I like a dark stain or paint on the base, with a natural wood top. Going that route, I would trim some stock to reduce the curviness of the trestle legs and stretcher to something a bit more subtle.

Go ahead in confidence with whatever you decide, grandpa would be proud that you salvaged his work!

20 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

At the risk of committing sacrilege on a woodworking forum, I'll suggest you consider painting part of the table.

I've seen some nice looking tables with a wood finish top and white, gray or gray-green legs/aprons or bases.  It makes for a lighter/brighter look, while maintaining the wood look on top.

An espresso or walnut top with a white chalk pair would look very nice. 

What I would do is remove the middle bulge from both of the legs. Create an even curve that goes in from top to bottom on each side of each leg. I'd do the same on the stretcher underneath.

I like the curly maple wedge idea and the painted base with wood top as well. Another option is a diluted paint. I've done this before on pine where i mixed paint 50/50 with water and it ended up looking like an old fashioned whitewash. (I chose white but i suppose any color would work) The wood grain still showed through but it still had a feel of paint. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Shou Sugi Ban is all the rage right now. Could be a consideration as well, though it's not without it's major risks.