Brad nailer recommandation ?

Martin-IT

Hi

I have a HF compressor and nailer that came with it.  I rarely used it, but the nailer is always a source of frustration with jams.

My though, upgrade the nailer, the compressor is doing fine.

Any recommendation ? I only used it when  doing more 'craft'  project, not for furniture, as an alternative to clamp while the glue dries on piece that clamping is doing really possible (bird house).

In one of the many videos for xmas list poping up on youtube, someone recommended https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GKL4X2O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=AUEUXQQV6YS3R&psc=1

Senco Fastening Systems 8F0001N 1-3/8" Headless Pinner

Anyone with experience with Senco ? Alternative in the same price range ? 

Martin

This is going to vary greatly on intended usage. I trim houses with a 15 gauge 2.5” gun. I do window molds with an 18 gauge that shoots 1.5” at the longest. Many finer trims can get away with 21 gauge. If a birdhouse is all you intend to build, I‘d go for that which you linked. Having said that, you can get cheaper that this gun in that format. The tiny fastener guns tend to be without many of the bells and whistles that make me picky with the big trimmers. Senco has not let me down ever. 

I have a brad nailer and a finish nailer and both are Senco.  If I were looking for any kind of pneumatic nail gun Senco would be my first stop.  I have shot over 4000 finish nails (I am on my second case of 4000) and probably 1000 brads and the only time I had a problem it was operator error.

One of the things that originally pushed me towards Senco was that they are design so that most repairs can be done by the owner.  They sell kits with all the parts and gaskets you would need to do a complete rebuild yourself.  But I haven't had to do anything to either of mine as of yet.  Also they are oil free.

Senco seems to make good tools and if you will only be needing a pinner, it would seem that the tool you are looking at could be a good choice.

I've had a Firestorm (Black & Decker) 18 gauge brad nailer that was a hand-me-down when my father passed away several years ago.  It has worked well and I still use it for some final assembly chores in my finish area which is located in the basement of my home.   

About a year ago I decided to expand the capabilities for my stand-alone workshop and after a lot of research and contemplation decided to go with a package of several pneumatic tools over a just a single unit.  The reasons for my choice was to provide the widest range of options at an affordable price point, as well as having dependable equipment.  I chose the Freeman P4FNCB kit which included a 23 gauge pin nailer, 18 gauge brad nailer, 18 gauge narrow crown stapler, a 16 gauge finish nailer, carry bag and a few other tidbits for about $200 ($50 / tool).  The tools have performed quite well without jams and I don't have any complaints at all. 

I just wanted to toss out the above to give a little additional food for thought (particularly since there is only about a $46 cost difference).  I really like the choice I made and haven't had any regrets - it fits my needs quite well.  At the same time, each person's wants and needs are different and with a multitude of manufacturers and options to choose from, finding the best personal unit(s) can be easy to do - though overwhelming to sort through too.  Good luck with your search and have fun with your final decision.

Freeman Nailers.JPG

• Like 1