thinking of buying grizzly separator for my shop

duckkisser

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Grizzly-Growler-Cyclone-Separator/G0863

geting back in the shop after a year.  starting with some updates so im thinking of buying this cyclone separator to hook onto my 3hp two bag dust collector.  but before I spend the money thought that I would see if anyone has this or knows how well it works. 

also want to build some flip top stands to save some space geting crowded. 

his complaint is that some dust gets in the dust collector. that's true for every cyclone filters out large and leaves behind the fine dust that goes into your bag.  The cyclone separates out the large particles so it has max suctions for as long as possible and some of the dust gets under the bag..... I don't really plan on using the bag was thinking that I would just cap off the hose intake and outtake and throw the chips away.  

How does this compare to the Oneida cyclone? Oneida has one for a 3hp collector but i'm not sure how it compares price wise and if it comes with a collection bin.

Make sure that anything on the cyclone or collection bin seals extremely well any leaks on the bin will cause the cyclone to overload the filter with fines.

the other option the Oneida cyclone im guessing is this one

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneida-air-systems-4-super-dust-deputy-deluxe?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=162571&utm_content=All Products&adlclid=ADL-adb1c52a-41a5-4c23-a0af-a2214236e194

I thought about it but it only has a 4" holes and its plastic with a paper barrel. with my 3hp dust collector im afraid the plastic and the barrel might not take it. the grizzly is metal with a window to tell me when its full and its on wheels.  I have barrels that I could use so if grizzly just had a cyclone top that would be awesome but they don't and I don't want to pay nearly 300 for a plastic one. 

anyone ever built one of these?  can save myself 300 dollars just by building one of these for around 20-50 dollars. https://www.madebymikal.com/building-a-thien-baffle/ im not super worried about the dust in shop my 3hp dust collector is in a side room off my garage put it there to cut down noise. any extra dust ends up  in there. 

any idea how well they work?

I've built a thein baffle and they work but it's awfully fiddly. The place where the thein baffle doesn't work as well is on the fines. Figuring out the diameter needed for a 3hp cyclone might be tricky. Making one from a trashcan might be a bit to big.

There is a super dust deputy XL that has larger pots that may work better for a 3hp collector. but i think it's a bit more expensive as well.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneida-air-systems-molded-super-dust-deputy-xl-cyclone?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764562369702d3c42000be9

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

There used to be (might still be) a seller on ebay selling just the cyclone, made out of metal, pretty cheap.  A 20 gallon container would be too small for my use anyway.  I've been tempted to buy one of those cyclones for my 3hp 4-bagger, but room is not available right now.

I think this is the one your thinking about. 

http://cycloneseparator.com/store

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've built a thein baffle and they work but it's awfully fiddly. The place where the thein baffle doesn't work as well is on the fines. Figuring out the diameter needed for a 3hp cyclone might be tricky. Making one from a trashcan might be a bit to big.

There is a super dust deputy XL that has larger pots that may work better for a 3hp collector. but i think it's a bit more expensive as well.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneida-air-systems-molded-super-dust-deputy-xl-cyclone?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764562369702d3c42000be9

those are like 200+ dollars might as well get a metal one that has container and wheels and etc.... for 300

46 minutes ago, RonW said:

I think this is the one your thinking about. 

http://cycloneseparator.com/store

ohhh thanks for this

need to think if its worth buying though the grizzly with shipping is $322 and ill be able to just the cyclone for a mid size dust collecter is 217 so to save 100 dollars I would have to get a barrel and build some kind of frame to hold it up. so would probably end up spending 50 bucks in hardware and wood.  plus take the time to get it done.  leaning towards time is money factor and just buying ready to plug and play. 

The Grizzly Growler is a poorly designed cyclone. Period.  It is way too short for it's diameter and length .  It also has a 7" exhaust out the top side- again , too big given it's size . It could be modified  , but I'd buy the Super Dust Deputy XL . It will work great with a 3 HP 2-bagger .I almost bought it , just for the barrel , with plans to modify it  .Oneida  is really good , that carried the day for me . 

7 hours ago, Tom King said:

There used to be (might still be) a seller on ebay selling just the cyclone, made out of metal, pretty cheap.  A 20 gallon container would be too small for my use anyway.  I've been tempted to buy one of those cyclones for my 3hp 4-bagger, but room is not available right now.

My first shop built cyclone used the cyclone in Tom's post . Had a 2HP grizzly blower  , worked great  w/ 6' PVC ducts . I also wonder if he is still in business ?  I think it was $200 or so . It was less than a Dust Deputy XL .  Anyway I traded it for my daughters first car to my buddy ,  about 2 yrs. ago .

after spending the afternoon planning and jointing some boards and seeing how much chips I ended up geting im now reconsidering the dust deputy. Neighbor just gave me a large barrel with a latching/sealing lid. now I can have a large barrel that ill only have to empty like once a month. buy a couple of pvc cast iron/pvc reducers that ill put onto the opening in the dust deputy im looking at around 210 dollars to separate my dust and chips.....think ill get the dust deputy with 6" openings.

I am curious what specific 3 HP collector you have , and what you will be hooking up to ? Is it lathe only ?  If space is getting tight , have you considered a shop built cyclone . Saves room compared to a 3 HP  DC with a Dust Deputy/ Barrel sitting nearby . Hundreds of them on YouTube to consider .  Might work for you .

4 hours ago, blackoak said:

I am curious what specific 3 HP collector you have , and what you will be hooking up to ? Is it lathe only ?  If space is getting tight , have you considered a shop built cyclone . Saves room compared to a 3 HP  DC with a Dust Deputy/ Barrel sitting nearby . Hundreds of them on YouTube to consider .  Might work for you .

I have the grizzly two bag 3hp dust collector got it for a steal from a out of business deal.  and I have piping through out he shop to all my major machines.  my lathe/miter has a dedicated 1hp collector mounted to the wall behind lathe. and I have  small shop vac behind my drill press to collect dust and shaving when I need to use it.  don't need as much so its not part of my dust collection system. been cleaning my garage last couple of days after I get it looking decent ill take some pictures to post to the forum.

I have this separator and have been very happy with it. I have it connected to a 2hp Kufo Seco collector. there is a video review where a guy says it doesn’t work well, maybe the video posted above, but if you watch closely, he has it assembled wrong. I commented as such in his video comments, but he was having none of it.

• 1 month later...

I am also looking for a separator to use with my newly acquired (old) 2HP Woodtek DC. I was going to buy the Oneida SDD (not the XL) since it has a 5 inch port, and that's what my DC has for in/out, but $185 bucks (with shipping) seems like a lot of money for a piece of plastic. And I'd also have to get a barrel and fabricate all the fittings, which doesn't look difficult at all, but does take a fair amount of time.

Then today I came across the Grizzly G0863 cyclone/barrel combo and watched the YouTube videos from the only guy who's posted a review so far. He didn't seem to like it, but its hard to tell from just one review, and not knowing what the performance should really be. I've never owned a proper DC before, having just used a shop vac connected to various tools, which is generally not very effective but better than nothing. Anyway, I'm thinking about this one and saw that it's on sale right now for $269. Shipping is free, so with tax the final cost is $288.17. Compared to what's out there (not many options) this might be a good deal assuming it works. Just wish there was more info out there about it. BTW, the sale is on until 4/20 at grizzly.com.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see two things that could increase your systems performance. The first thing is using larger duct. You can increase the Suction by up to 50% using 6” pipe instead of 4”. You will need to step down to 4” by each tool and the fittings can get expensive more so if you have a large shop. The reason larger ducts work better is your moving more volume and stepping down at the machine increases the speed at the machine. If you just have 4” duct the whole way it starves the blower and the air speed drops especially on the longer runs. 

The second thing is switching to pleated canister filters. Canister filters Increase the area of filter many times more then the bags and give you finer filtration which means less dust in the air. More air filter area Means you can move more air which increases performance by up to 50%.

Both of these things can be a bit pricey but worth every penny if you ask me. 

here are some links the first one is to my post on my system. The Other is for the filters. I used 1 on my 1.5hp system then added a second one on the 3 hp upgrade. 

This link has several versions most or self explanatory. I will say the 222 sqft area is better then the 274 sqft one. The larger area means tighter pleats which get harder to blow the dust out. My system has both. The 222 model was created after my first purchase for the very reason I Just stated. 
https://wynnenv.com/products-page/woodworking-filter-pricing/