Cedar Walls in Hot Tub Room

Mary Halada

We have a “hot Tub” room at our house with cedar on the walls - for about 30 years.  Several years ago, I left the cover off the hot tub overnight and the result is “drips” about 2-3 feet from the floor, down the walls.  These “drips” are darker than the wall.  We tried to sand one off and it didn’t seem to impact it.  The cedar walls were initially finished with a danish oil, I believe.  Suggestions on how to remove/cover these drips?

Looks like water stains on bare, or almost bare, wood. They probably penetrate a bit deeper than you tried to sand. If it were mine, I would use a random orbit sander connected to a vacuum, and start at 80 grit to quickly strip it to clean wood. Work up through the grits, typically 80, 120, 180, 220. Stop when the surface looks and feels the way you want it to. The best looking result will come from finishing the entire room, but you MIGHT get by with 'feathering' the affected areas. That means remove the stains with 80 grit, sand that area and expand by the diameter of the sander at 120 grit, cover and expand another diameter at 180, etc...

I don't know that Danish Oil is the best choice of finish for such a room, but apparently it worked for 30 years, so I can't say to not use it again. Just try to avoid condensation in the future! 

:lol: