New to Phoenix, Az area

Paul T

Well, hardwood is a frustration out here. I'm in Chandler.

I do shop a lot at Timber. They've been getting what seems like lower-quality stuff lately; you definitely need to be more choosy. Otherwise, there's Woodworkers' Source in Tempe and North Phoenix. They have gorgeous wood; some NSFW :) They also have a huge variety. But for that, you pay a premium price. It is likely still less than mail order and you get to hand select. If you go there, consider their Rosewood Club; $20/year (EDIT: $20 lifetime :)) and you get a discount on everything you buy and there are several members-only sales that have really good prices. Otherwise, if you are not a member and you don't buy on sale, you're paying a premium. That said, they are my main supplier now.

But if you find a place that still has rough stock that isn't "planed for your convenience", I'd love to hear it. Kinda tired of getting 7/8" or even 13/16" S2S when I could plane a rough board significantly thicker.

(My theory is that the "planed for your convenience" is a ploy... they don't rough cut 4/4 to 1 1/8" like they used to... instead they rough cut to 15/16" and plane to 7/8"; doesn't take a lot of boards for that little bit to add up to a board that is completely profit; worse, they usually tack on a service fee for the planing you didn't want. grrrrrr)

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Corrected Rosewood membership price

I am aware of three other places in the Phoenix area.

Superior Hardwoods

Arizona Hardwoods

Spellman Hardwoods

(Well, there's Rockler, too, but no.)

I bought from Spellman a VERY long time ago. At the time, they were tolerant but not terribly accommodating to small retail buyers like me. I don't know if they're any different these days or not. On their website, Superior says they sell rough cut lumber. I have never been to either Superior Hardwoods or Arizona Hardwoods.

Like Paul-Marcel, I buy my wood from Woodworker's Source. As he said, their prices are high, but they will let you pick all day long through their entire stock to find just what you want. In the quantities I buy, that's worth the extra money to me.

-- Russ

+1 for Spellman but as Russ indicated, they really cater to larger businesses. I don't let that stop me from going in an getting one or two boards. The prices are good, the quality is good, and wood is rough enough to provide ample milling room.

That might be enough to get me to drive waaaay out there and try them, unless Superior turns out to have that, too.

I have used American Hardwoods at 14th st north of Buckeye in downtown Phx. They always have great prices and the quality is frequently better than Timber who I also frequent. Yesterday Mar4 I went to American and was disappointed for the first time because their 8/4 cherry in stock was limited and of firewood quality. They are getting a pallet of 8 footers shipped down from the parent in Oregon and we'll see if that arrives as promised next Friday. They have a website under the parent company, McKillicans where you can find an inventory list but you need to call first before visiting.

Otherwise, there's Woodworkers' Source in Tempe and North Phoenix. They have gorgeous wood; some NSFW :) They also have a huge variety. But for that, you pay a premium price. It is likely still less than mail order and you get to hand select. If you go there, consider their Rosewood Club; $20/year and you get a discount on everything you buy and there are several members-only sales that have really good prices.

Paul, you get the Academy Award for the role of Best Supporting Customer. And I mean it! Thanks for the good words. The only thing I should correct you about is the $20 fee. It's not yearly. It's a one time fee that lasts as long as your woodworking addiction does.

- Mark

Woodworkers Source

Marketing Manager

Paul, you get the Academy Award for the role of Best Supporting Customer. And I mean it! Thanks for the good words. The only thing I should correct you about is the $20 fee. It's not yearly. It's a one time fee that lasts as long as your woodworking addiction does.

- Mark

Woodworkers Source

Marketing Manager

Oh, excellent! Then that $20 is a no-brainer, you don't even have to think of how much you might buy the first year. ...and I must have been listening with no-brain to not catch the "for life".

• 2 years later...

Is Woodworker's Source where you guys are shopping still or any other new places to check out?  I've been to Woodworker's Source a couple times and was just going to buy stuff from there, but I figured I should check out other options.  

I'm planning on checking out Spellman's too later this week since I have to drive out to the west side for something else.  Sounds like they don't like the little orders but they also do moldings which I was going to talk to them about.  I need to get about 550 LF of baseboard for my house.  So they might be more tolerant.  <_<

Brad,

If you are coming to the west side anyway, there is another store a little south of the Phx Woodworker's Source on I-17.  I think it is called "Phoenix Hardwoods (between Bell Road & Union Hills Road on the access road heading north). You might check it out. 

Mar10