Interesting Domino Jig

jussi

Seems like it could be a real time saver if you're a production shop.  Like anything Festool it's spensive.  Seller is international so not only is the product expensive but so would shipping.  Looks like 370 pounds or close to $500 before shipping.   If it was half or even 2/3 the price I'd seriously think about getting one.  Maybe if it because successful enough they would mass produce and maybe get a US distributor. 

Company link.

https://fctools.co.uk/

There is the spacer that comes with the domino already in the set version of the tool and I've never used it. A pencil line is more than good enough to set spacing. This seems like a solution looking for a problem... I'm a 1 man shop though.

I feel like after you get to a product this expensive the shop that'd be looking to buy it would be large enough that they'd be using CNC or something better than the domino.

The plate thing he uses is avilable here for a lot cheaper.

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/domiplate-for-1-2-and-3-4-ply

39 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

There is the spacer that comes with the domino already in the set version of the tool and I've never used it. A pencil line is more than good enough to set spacing. This seems like a solution looking for a problem... I'm a 1 man shop though.

I feel like after you get to a product this expensive the shop that'd be looking to buy it would be large enough that they'd be using CNC or something better than the domino.

The plate thing he uses is avilable here for a lot cheaper.

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/domiplate-for-1-2-and-3-4-ply

The problem with the spacer that comes with the set is that the spacing is fixed and you have to use the previous mortises.  I’ve personally  never used it. The XL is a little better in that it gives you 3 spacing options and I have used that a couple of times. 

The problem with a Cnc is the size and cost (at least for a substantial sized one).  I know I could never fit one in my 2 car a garage unless I got rid for half my floor standing tools.  That said I’m not sure this jig would necessarily be used enough to pay for itself. 

I have that same senaca jig but the original none anodized version. Got it cheap when they switched over to the newer version.  Thought about upgrading but can’t really see a reason too besides getting a prettier version.   That jig gets used a lot. 

I guess I've never run into a situation where i needed to use spacing other than pencil lines. Is there an instance where the spacing jogs work better than lines? I should mention i never use solely the narrow setting. There is zero strength to be gained from the sides of a domino.

• 2 weeks later...