Question about going between drive spur to a faceplate

Trevor

So I am a new to turning. I am working on an urn and I have been turning between a drive center and a live center, so in essence spindle turning. I need to start to hollow it out so I mounted to a faceplate now it wobbles when I start up the lathe. How do I achieve a wobble free face mount turning.?tia

I'm no expert, but generally I think of a face plate as part of the first stage of turning something, where you've yet to establish a good stable shape. Trying to mount a faceplate after already doing some amount of turning sounds like a nightmare to get squared/centered properly.

Do you have a chuck?

• Like 1

If you were turning between centers you have all the information you need. You just need to figure out the dia. of the face plate, then set a compass to the radius (half the diameter measurement) you have the center point of the piece you were turning, put the the point of your compass in the center point of your turning and swing a line the dia. of your face plate. Now mount the the face plate on the circle you've drawn, if it's nots running true then your face plate is out of round or, it could be warped either way you would need a new face plate. Good luck

• Like 2

I have a chuck but I think the urn is too tall or heavy at the top end. I am thinking a steady rest should help. I did try just turning down the base end and putting it into the chuck. It works but when I bring the drill bit in with the tail stock it wobbles more. 

I cannot say for certain, this is my initiation into turning. The lathe did like to walk, but I bolted it down. I mean I am able to ramp the speed up over 1000rpm between centers. When drilling out I imagine it should be done at lower rpm is that right? Also it was a wen chuck that I am using, is it just because it is a cheap chuck?