Keeping shop

curlyoak

On 10/29/2021 at 10:05 AM, curlyoak said:

Local made the difference.

Yea, I just found a local business that does the full range of sharpening.  The first time I took some saw blades in the owner offered me a tour of the place.  She really seemed to know her stuff. I also found out that they make bandsaw blades to order.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, BillyJack said:

I order the wood a specific thickness. 

Do you check to see if it was dressed accurately. Is the thickness equal or variable? If an 8' board was bowed and you dressed the entire board you won't get all the bow out. However if you dressed smaller needed pieces starting from full thickness most or all of the bow can be dressed out. There is no money to save dressing your own lumber. But it allows more control only if you have the tools and skill to dress it yourself. Long ago I would buy s4s. I was lulled into comfort until I got a load of wood that the edges were not the same thickness. Cause all kinds of problems and wasted money.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, curlyoak said:

Do you check to see if it was dressed accurately. Is the thickness equal or variable? If an 8' board was bowed and you dressed the entire board you won't get all the bow out. However if you dressed smaller needed pieces starting from full thickness most or all of the bow can be dressed out. There is no money to save dressing your own lumber. But it allows more control only if you have the tools and skill to dress it yourself. Long ago I would buy s4s. I was lulled into comfort until I got a load of wood that the edges were not the same thickness. Cause all kinds of problems and wasted money.

Saving money is based on time, space and profits. I make no money prepping wood to be turned into cabinets or furniture.

I take it your a hobby woodworker?

I'm an ex-professional who won't change his ways.

Remember I spent 37 years turning wood into profits. There's no time for milling...

I have total control of the wood I purchase. Here are my leftovers from cabinet jobs. Nothing goes to waste.. if you want to spend the time growing a tree, sawing down a tree. Cutting up a tree, drying a tree, etc. I'm happy for you, but don't try an sell me on it..

user323_pic12249_1518960277.jpg

"Do you check to see of it dressed accurately?"

I check the first board and move on. Outr main cabinet suppliers are Liberty Hardwoods and Paxtons. These guys making a living dressing lumber and supplying to cabineg shops. I have 2 cabinet shops withn 2  miles of me. You can pretty much bet it will be the way you ordered it.They don't make money on mistakes , but it can happen.

They are not a "big box" store...