Raising the roof-Bathroom house rebuild

Tom King

On the 12' x 14'  brick bathroom house.  

Pictures are my wedge cutting jig.  I've used this a number of times for making opposing wedges.  Once to raise sagging rafters, and once to raise a house.  The wedges are 22" long.

Don't try this at home.  I usually have at least one other helper that catches the outfeed.  I've been working by myself through the pandemic.

I push it through a bit past halfway, back off, and let it sit there while I walk around to the outfeed side to finish pulling it through.  My fingers never get anywhere near the blade.  

They worked like a charm, and the little roof went right up.  The plywood sheathing is nailed to the top plate, but a long sawzall blade walked right down the cut.  One jack easily lifted one whole side, but I'll use three on a side to not distort it.

Sometimes a bent on purpose Sawzall blade is the right one to get into a plane that a corner won't let you get the end of the saw up into.

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, but that would have taken longer than doing it this way for 8 wedges, especially since I didn't have any such clamps laying around.  With a helper, it doesn't matter.  My fingers never got anywhere close to the blade.   I haven't needed any 2' long wedges for several years.  I really didn't need them that long this time, but at that length, it's easy to keep fingers well away from the saw blade.  I just needed to separate the top plates enough to get a sawzall blade between them to cut the nails.  They were made from a scrap of old oak 1x board.

That's an Exactor overarm dust hood.  When I bought it, that was the only one that used a 4" hose.  It works fine.  I did need to close up some of the open spaces with blue tape.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:48 PM, Coop said:

So you will be adding two each, 2x4’s between the two top plates, all the way around? 

That was the plan to start with, but it went up so easily I decided to use three 2x4's when I get back to that job, which will raise it 4-1/2".

I think probably 1963, or a little before.  The lake was flooded October 1963.  They may have planned a little in advance, but no one really has any idea.  It was a picnic and swimming place the first few years the lake was here, but no one remembers how long it was open for that.  I was surprised not to find termite damage, but they probably treated it with Chlordane back then, which was effective although not good for the environment.  The bottom wall plates are treated wood, just bolted down to the concrete slab.

I'm going to have to break up part of the slab to reroute plumbing for the new plan.  Hopefully, I'm right in expecting it not to be too thick.

• Like 1

I went down there today to frame the walls up.  I have enough straight 2x4's to frame the inside walls up, but laying out the plates, I was having a hard time getting things to work out.  As I checked more, the walls are not straight, plumb, nor square.  I'm going to have to sister almost every stud.  In the 9' lengths of the two bathrooms, I could make one have parallel walls, but the other one would have been out 2-3/4" in that 9'.  That would have been impossible, not to mention aggravating,  to do pretty tilework in.

With lumber prices what they are, not even talking about the poor quality, I picked through my decades old supply of crooked studs, and spent the afternoon flattening one side, and straightening one edge of pieces to do the sistering with.  I was glad I had saved that otherwise junk lumber, but it's going to make insulating the walls a pain.  I may use spray foam.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Tom King changed the title to Raising the roof-Bathroom house rebuild