Mangoes

curlyoak

On 7/9/2022 at 10:34 AM, drzaius said:

Nice. My favorite breakfast is whole grain toast with peanut butter and slice mango on it.

Here in mango country all the local grocery stores sell mango. Almost no chance of getting fruit  equal to fresh tree ripe mangoes. And  unless you had direct access to a backyard tree it never is as good. As far away as Canada is, well not much of a chance. Even a lot of unaware locals do not experience the real deal. However if you like what you get some how some way you may taste the real deal and you will know it. You probably know that a persimmon taste terrible unless it is tree ripe. 

If it was not a typical lean year I would offer to send you one. Not this year. 

On 7/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, BonPacific said:

I used to make dark chocolate cupcakes with fresh mango jam filling.

I believe in preserve form it is less important to have tree ripe fruit. The sugar generated on tree ripe is replaced with cane sugar in preserves.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mark J said:

You need a lime tree to go with those mangoes. 

I grow key limes. Key limes are a wild fruit. Not grafted. The only citrus I know of that is not grafted. There is no harvest time. The tree flowers 9 or 10 months a year. So there is fruit available most of the time but just a handful at the most but all a family would need. Except 2 or 3 months off.

On 7/10/2022 at 4:03 AM, curlyoak said:

I believe in preserve form it is less important to have tree ripe fruit. The sugar generated on tree ripe is replaced with cane sugar in preserves.

For fresh jams, not preserved, I think the fresh fruit is still a benefit.