Upgrading table saw motor hp: yay or nay?

Stoicwoodworker

I’ve got a Griz hybrid saw, originally with a 2hp cheapo motor.  The motor burned up a few weeks ago cutting through some heavy oak.  I was going too fast, definitely my fault.  Anyways, grizzly is backordered on a lot of their motors, the OEM for my saw included & I’m thinking of putting an aftermarket motor in (same specs & similar frame of course).  But I’m kicking around the idea of adding an extra hp on since I’m replacing it.  I understand the new motor must be of similar weight & shaft size.  The oem motor is face mounted via a custom bracket, which I’d have to retrofit…but I’m ok with that, even if it involves a bit of welding.  I wired the original for 240v on a 20amp circuit…which should handle 3hp fine.  The trunions are cast iron & should handle the additional torque on start up.  

I guess my question is this: it’ll be a bit of a job to retrofit…and I’ve got 2 toddlers & a growing to-do list from the mrs.  Is that extra hp worth the effort & time or should I just wait out the supply chain delay & stick the 2hp oem motor back in? 

For reference, I have a mill & make lots of 8/4, 6/4 & 4/4 hardwood.   I’m a hobbyist furniture maker…but will be tackling a bunch of cabinets this winter.  The hybrid saw was a generous gift a couple years ago and obviously there are a few shoulda’s involved…but I am where I am.  

thanks in advance 

If you can get a suitable aftermarket motor quickly, I'd say go for it. Supply chain issues as they are, there is no way to predict how long you'll wait for the OEM replacement. Plus, more power.

Given that you have a mill, I assume you sell lumber? I don't suppose you are within a couple hours drive of Jackson TN, are you? :ph34r:

I'm always on the lookout for new sources of supply, as there aren't many convenient lumber outlets here that will sell to a hobbyist.

My first 2 table saws were 2hp. I have had 3hp for a long time. The sooner you get 3 hp the better. And when you are ripping an 8/4 board of hardwood you will grin and think about how nice it is with power when needed. And if you burn out the new 2 hp you would see that not getting the 3 was a big mistake. Plus the added productivity. Get the 3!

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, wtnhighlander said:

If you can get a suitable aftermarket motor quickly, I'd say go for it. Supply chain issues as they are, there is no way to predict how long you'll wait for the OEM replacement. Plus, more power.

Given that you have a mill, I assume you sell lumber? I don't suppose you are within a couple hours drive of Jackson TN, are you? :ph34r:

I'm always on the lookout for new sources of supply, as there aren't many convenient lumber outlets here that will sell to a hobbyist.

South of Asheville NC.  So I think a bit of a hike from you? But if you’re ever this way & give me some advance notice, I’ll fill you up with any oak, maple, pine, etc you need! 

thanks for the response…good advice & along my thinking 

• Like 2

In most saws the motor is not an integral part of the machine's function, simply the power plant.  I have a small but well built contractor saw that  have used a 1, 2, and 3HP motor on at different times.  Like supercharging your '57 Chevy, if every link in the chain is up to it, rock on.