Simple Boxes

Mr H

What species of ash grows across the pond? The ash trees here are getting killed left and right by emerald ash borer. We primarily have American ash, Green Ash, Black Ash. The wood is beautiful but is becoming hard to come by. I've been trying to source some logs in my neighborhood to slab as some day it's goign to be gone just like the Chestnut.

• Like 1

I fear the same. We have dieback doing it's worst. Without googling I could tell you specifically what ash we have. 

Commercially we buy American White Ash, that's what the boxes are. The TV unit is Ash from the UK but I don't know specifics. It has a nice olive heart and pale edges. 

We have Sweet and horse Chestnut and them seem to do well...for the moment. I've only ever used sweet and as I understand it, the Sweet chestnut here was bought over from Italy or Mediterranean a good few hundred years ago. 

I'm guessing the North American variant of chestnut is a little different to ours?

12 hours ago, Mr H said:

Commercially we buy American White Ash, that's what the boxes are. The TV unit is Ash from the UK but I don't know specifics. It has a nice olive heart and pale edges. 

12 hours ago, Mr H said:

I'm guessing the North American variant of chestnut is a little different to ours?

That's interesting that they ship white ash that far. I did a quick search and i think the European ash grows in Europe. Unique name right? The olive color and grain pattern is interesting, I'll have to try and find some veneer of European ash.

Grows feet per year and tops at 100 feet tall. It's a great lumber tree and built most of the east coast until blight wiped the trees out.

The boxes look great. I like the simple details. Brown oak is a cool wood.

• Like 1