Question about jointer fence - in this case on a Grizzly G0858

cjtboy

Hello! I am getting back to woodworking after what feels like forever, and just picked up my first jointer - a Grizzly G0858. Bought new while on sale over the holiday. 

Most appears to be in good order, but I have an issue with the fence that I am wondering how best to fix (or ignore :)

Specifically, there there is a small portion of the fence that sits slightly lower than the rest of the fence, clearly by design (I've circled this portion in the picture). This portion is about 2.5" long and is a bit behind the cutter head, so it rests on the outfeed table. When I move the fence in or out (it is on a rack & pinion mechanism), this portion scrapes against the outfeed table, leaving marks / light scratches.

The entire fence mechanism moves up and down with the outfeed table, so you can't lower the table below this portion of the fence.

I have tried repositioning the entire fence mechanism via loosening the 2 cap screws at the back and picking the fence mechanism as high up as it would allow, and retightening those 2 caps screws, but it made no difference. It is almost as if there should be a small wear strip on the bottom of the fence portion that makes contact with the table that is missing as I don't see any other adjustment that could be made to adjust the fence height.

Poking around online I couldn't find anything specific about this jointer's fence, but many reports of similar issues with jointer fences in general scraping outfeed tables (more complaints than solutions). My initial thought was to place a strip of UHMW tape under the portion making contact, but not sure how well it would stick and wanted to see if anyone has any better ideas?

I have reached out to Grizzly tech support to understand if this is a faulty one I got, but wanted to check here too. If the answer is don't worry about it, that is cool too, I may need to hear it from a few people - with new machines you want everything perfect and it never seems to work out that way!

And before you note that I will have a very hard time jointing with no cutters in place - agreed, I took those off to clean all the goop off!

G0858 - fence scraping outfeed table.jpg

I had an old 6 inch Grizzly Jointer that had that same "feature".  The few times I moved the fence, after loosening it I just held that side up a little so it didn't drag.  But mostly I just never had a real reason to move the fence.  My Powermatic has a similar protrusion but it is some kind of hard plastic or something and doesn't mar the surface.

I would be interested in what Grizzly says about it.  They usually have a pretty helpful customer service department.

• Like 1

I have the Grizz G0452P and although I’ve never noticed it until now, it is made the same as yours and I’m sure it serves some purpose. Mine has never made a mark on the table and I adjust mine with some frequency, in and out, to provide somewhat even wear on my knives when I joint the edge of boards. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, Coop said:

I have the Grizz G0452P and although I’ve never noticed it until now, it is made the same as yours and I’m sure it serves some purpose. Mine has never made a mark on the table and I adjust mine with some frequency, in and out, to provide somewhat even wear on my knives when I plane the edge of boards. 

Interesting, thanks! Maybe I need to clean up the portion of the fence that touches the outfeed table a bit. It may have a small burr or other inconsistency that could be causing the scratches.

• Like 1

Stick some UHMW tape under there and call it a day. The tape won't stop the scratches but will reduce them. The weight of the fence will keep the tape in place.

My table saw fence has a uhmw glider that travels on the table surface. I have a line in the cast iron top where it slides. It's a tool not a show car, after years of use the amount of scratches from wood parallel to the fence will amaze you.

Below are some pictures of the scratches on my table saw after 10 years of solid use. I'd share my jointer but it's quite a bit newer and i don't take pictures of it.

0307211039-01.thumb.jpeg.73b309b5edffc465471c57eb242a9110.jpeg

0217211729-01.thumb.jpeg.d847056775405eeda20dd0a9b8cec58f.jpeg

0217211729-01.thumb.jpeg.d847056775405eeda20dd0a9b8cec58f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, Mark J said:

Hopefully the new fence won't need it.

On 12/7/2022 at 6:50 PM, Coop said:

Helluva customer service! Glad you pursued it. 

Agreed on both points! This is my first Grizzly tool purchase & customer service has been great. Other than the fence issue, the overall fit & finish has also impressed me so far

On 12/8/2022 at 5:20 AM, Chestnut said:

Hey that's great that they acknowledged a problem and then just took care of it. So what do you do with your current fence? Boat anchor?

Basically, but that would require yet another expensive hobby! But yes, given below something like $250 value they didn't want the old fence back

On 12/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, gee-dub said:

I did the UHMW tape thing when I got my 8" machine back in 2008.

It's still on there.

Nice!

1 hour ago, cjtboy said:

Basically, but that would require yet another expensive hobby!

Ahh yeah didn't notice CA. It's probably not like around here where every other person has a $2,000 16 foot fishing boat. Ya know land of 10,000 lakes and all (even though 90% of them are just ponds in people's back yard).

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, Chestnut said:

It's probably not like around here where every other person has a $2,000 16 foot fishing boat. 

Yeah we have way more vineyards and rolling hills vs. bodies of water where I am. Water is, unfortunately, harder and harder to come by given droughts, though we aren't all that far from the ocean either (~45 mins).

17 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Did a job in Minnesota once.  Took me a few days to realize folks were having fun with the out-of-towner.  Whenever I would ask where something was some part of the directions would include "down by the lake". :lol:

Alternately we just say "down by the river".