Basement shop - mounting to drywall walls

Jfitz

I have a new house and new basement shop which has drywall/plaster walls.  I would prefer bare stud walls for the build-out, but it is what it is.

I'd debating how to attach wall cabinets, hangers and holder, etc.  I could screw right to the walls as-is (into studs or using wall anchors); I could mount a french cleat system directly to the wall; or I could mount plywood sheets against the wall to give a "wood look and feel" and make it easy to attach stuff.

thoughts?  The brightness of the walls is nice, but with a smaller space than I had, I will need to make good use of wall space.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 10:02 AM, Mark J said:

Still I think a (3/4") plywood inner wall is going to be expensiv

Yeah - crazy prices these days.  As much as I would love the look and feel of (ply)wood walls ... given I already have walls, I will probably go with selective French cleat locations, screwing into studs where possible.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, Mark J said:

You could do small sections of plywood.  Say a 2 x 8 sheet horizontal at shoulder height wherever you want a tool wall.  

Not a bad idea.  I do have a few smaller wall sections (above the lathe and above the jointer) where that approach would work well, and give great flexibility for mounting stuff.

I'd live with it for a while and figure out where things are needed. It's not too difficult to find studs through drywall for larger cabinets I'd just find the studs and mount them. For smaller cabinets I'd probably just hang french cleat as needed to hang the cabinets.

Putting ply over the walls seems expensive, i think french cleat would be better. Instead of putting it everywhere off the bat I've just made lengths of cleat material and keep it around and use it as needed.

I am all done with drywall anchors. Any time I hang something heavier than a family photo, I put up a cleat, either french or a simple strip of plywood that crosses multiple studs, and screw into that. For heavy items, cleats have the advantage of being light and easy to level before hanging the real thing.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:02 AM, Mark J said:

I expect to have a similar problem to solve this fall.  But in my case it will be new construction.  Still I think a (3/4") plywood inner wall is going to be expensive.

The COVID price hikes are exactly why I do not have plywood walls.  They were in the plan but the price of that material tripled . . . enter drywall.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, Mark J said:

You could do small sections of plywood.  Say a 2 x 8 sheet horizontal at shoulder height wherever you want a tool wall.  

Or maybe extra 2x4 framing horizontally at 4' or 6'? Perhaps around the whole shop so you hang most stuff without having to find a stud.

I ran 4' of 1/2" plywood on the lower walls from the floor up, and then sheetrock up to the ceiling. I circled the plywood areas you can see in red behind my welding table. Everything is on metal dollies I made, so when moving equipment around, bumping into the plywood doesn't do any damage. The sheetrock would be a mess! Of course I did it many years ago before plywood prices went of of sight. However, the old saying..."Buy Once, Cry Once" still applies!!!

It does make hanging things easy. You still have the studs available for hanging anything heavy.

Plywood Lower Walls.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Von said:

Or maybe extra 2x4 framing horizontally at 4' or 6'? Perhaps around the whole shop so you hang most stuff without having to find a stud.

I like this idea, but with horizontals at 4' and 6' to give two anchor points for something like shelves or a cabinet.  I've no idea of cost for L&M, though.

• Like 1

Marc S. has some exterior(?) sheathing he puts up in his shop. Definitely was in his Denver shop and I think is up now in part of the firehouse. I think I recall him saying it was both for the looks and price. Anyone recall what it is and if it's cheaper?

BTW, I'm thinking about redoing my garage walls to insulate them so am interested in all options to recover or otherwise improve them while I've got them down to the studs.