Grout cleaners and advanced puck lights

bradleyheathhays

It's been so long since I've tried to clean my bathroom grout that I'm guessing there's been an improvement in grout cleaners since I did, so I thought I'd ask yall's opinion on how best to get my grout color back.  It's white but fairly darkened with just general floor dirt over the years.  It was sealed a long time ago but not sure how much good it did.

Is there some kind of product now that is a combination cleaner / re-colorant?  I'm guessing there might be.

Also, I need kind of an advanced puck light that I'm not finding on Amazon.  I need one that's programmable and remote control.  Any suggestion where I can find something like this?

Thanks.

PS.  I've got 1" tile on the floor, which means a LOT of grout lines, which means one of those grout re-colorant pens would just be too much work.

1” tile sounds like a lot of knee time! If folks on here can’t help then I would suggest going to a flooring store, ie., not HD or Lowe’s for help. The puck light, what is the application? I have a couple that are programmable and remote controlled and got off of Amazon. 

• Like 1

From research grout cleaning can be difficult. I needed to remove hard water stains from a shower recently and used a heavy duty acid cleaner and that worked well. That might not work so hot on regular dirt.

A good diy cleaner is hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Hydrogen peroxide will have a mild bleaching effect on grime worked in and the baking soda provides some grit that works to remove ground in dirt. I'd mix up a large batch and apply it to the floor with a stiff scrub brush. The formula is 2 parts baking soda 1 part hydrogen peroxide. I have a good stuff brush that mounds to a broom handle, it's great for really leaning into scrubbing tasks.

Another note about hydrogen peroxide is that it isn't a shelf stable chemical. It'll last maybe 6 months to a year once opened. So if you have a jug that's been around for years buy a new one.

I'd try a small inconspicuous area before hitting the whole floor. It'll give you an idea of how it works and hat the results may be before you commit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Coop! 

The application I need a programmable puck light for is a bourbon display piece I'm making.  Long story short, I'll have a bourbon bottle encased in clear epoxy displayed on a wooden base.  I need a puck light, or possibly programmable LEDs, mounted in the base and pointed upward so that it shines through the display piece.

Would you still have any info on what kind of programmable LED pucks you found on Amazon?  I've searched there, and everywhere actually, and haven't found ANY programmable pucks yet.  I'm sure it's doable with LED strips but I'm not up to speed on those yet, although I need to get that in my wheelhouse of skills.

• Like 1